let's talk about tubes for Quickie

charger · 6785

Offline Chris

Reply #30 on: August 09, 2013, 06:45:49 PM
So, buying a "tested as new" tube is a gamble then? Do you stay away from tubes like that? or I am sure as usual, it all depends on the asking price etc..ok, so when a tube starts its gradual decline, can there still be thousands of hours of life and good sound left depending on the tube? Cuz, i hear tubes like teles can maybe be 100,000 hours.?.. thank you

Offline STURMJ

Reply #31 on: August 09, 2013, 07:53:45 PM
I would stay away from any used tube, you have no idea of how many hours are on it.  NOS or new old stock, is the way to go, given that the seller is honest.

Offline Chris

Reply #32 on: August 10, 2013, 04:28:24 AM
Yeah, you are right Sturm.... just opens up for fraud and bad purchase stories...

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #33 on: August 10, 2013, 12:21:10 PM
I generally opt for used tubes, as very little new old stock is new.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

4krow

Reply #34 on: August 10, 2013, 12:37:09 PM
 Kinda like buying a used car, eh? Once again, I refer to Vintage Tube Service. And yes, I'm sure that there are   others. I typically go for new tubes, but when I deal with Andy at VTL, I don't wonder so much. And then there is the group of sellers who THINK they know what they are talking about. It's a tough call for me at least.

Offline Chris

Reply #35 on: August 11, 2013, 04:08:04 PM
Yeah, a trusted service is probably the best way to go.. and Yeah, PB, makes sense, most NOS tubes may not be new anyway... I will just avoid ebay...

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #36 on: August 11, 2013, 05:17:07 PM
There's no reason to avoid eBay, it's easy enough to make returns.  It's also worth mentioning that a tube like the 3S4 will almost always be NOS, as used old stock of inexpensive tubes like these will generally be discarded as used pulls. 

Looking on eBay, all but one or two of the listings are almost certainly new old stock.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #37 on: August 13, 2013, 05:12:14 PM
I would second that in terms of the cheaper tubes. There is no profit in selling totally used 3s4's. They are cheap to begin with! Those that have them, they are probably going to be NOS. For $5 its worth a shot!

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline charger

Reply #38 on: August 17, 2013, 08:26:34 AM
OFF TOPIC

does Q , as the batteries lows down , needs to rise the volume pot ?

Oppo 980H - PC - Arcam rDac- Bottlehead Quickie- Abletec ALC040 - Signal cables Atlas Element Integra-speakers cables Tellerium Q black-Martin Logan Motion 15

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #39 on: August 17, 2013, 09:16:59 AM
The gain should not change much with low battery operation, until the filament voltage gets too low to maintain emission. Usually this will be around 1.0 volt.

Paul Joppa