Clear coat for transformer bell

adamct · 3879

Offline adamct

• Maxxximum CAPacity Crack
on: September 02, 2013, 07:35:46 PM
So today I went to both Lowe's AND Home Depot. I asked for clear coat for metal, for indoor use, to protect against rust, and was met with the usual blank stares, then left to read various labels for myself.

Anybody have any idea which of these products is best?

Rust-Oleum Matte Finish Spray - Is a product sprayed on paper and other art projects appropriate? It says it works on bare metal...

Valspar Clear Sealer Flat - This stuff doesn't say anything about what materials it works on...and I can't even find it on the Valspar website...

Rust-Oleum Painter's Touch 2x Ultra Cover Matte Clear - I don't know what to think of the "ultra cover" nature of this stuff. I would have preffered to put on a couple of thin coats, rather than one potentially gloopy and uneven coat.

Rust-Oleum Rust Inhibitor - Just going off the name, you would think this is the stuff, but it indicates that for interior use, you're supposed to re-apply every 1-2 years, which isn't in the cards. Moreover, I found myself wondering if this was some sort of oil or something...

I find it infuriating that these products generally don't indicate what their purpose is, and most aren't terribly clear on what surfaces they work on. Any advice? Which of these is best? Or am I looking at entirely the wrong class of products? What is meant by "clear coat" for the purpose of sealing/treating the transformer bell covers before assembly?

Best regards,
Adam
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 03:32:24 AM by adamct »

Offline Grainger49

Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 01:56:19 AM
I think the real confusion came from "interior use" and "rust inhibitor." 

A good outside clear Lacquer after removing the rust will do just fine.  This is one of the projects I have for my time off.  I'll take 4/O steel wool to my Paramour transformer end bells and then Blue (Gun Blue) them.  After that dries I will shoot clear lacquer.  I used the same can of lacquer on my MQ Brass end bells 6 years back.

Offline adamct

Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 03:31:03 AM
Well, I never said "rust inhibitor", I just explained it was to protect some steel from rusting.  ;)

Are any of the products linked to above suitable?

Offline Grainger49

Reply #3 on: September 03, 2013, 04:34:17 AM
I did a search on Home Depot's site.  I couldn't find a matte finish clear coating. 

Any old outdoor matte finish clear will do.  The interior will not likely withstand the temperature of the transformer.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #4 on: September 03, 2013, 05:54:06 AM
It's not that critical, any typical clear coat like Varathane, Ace Hardware lacquer, krylon clear satin, etc. works fine. Just be sure the bell end is oil free before spraying.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline adamct

Reply #5 on: September 03, 2013, 06:02:47 AM
OK, thanks.