replacing 10 ohm wirewound potentiometer

glynnw · 2310

Offline glynnw

on: October 02, 2013, 01:53:19 PM
I think I have narrowed down a source of intermittent static in one of my 300B Paramounts to one of the 10 ohm wirewound potentiometers.  I plan to order a couple from Mouser along with a few other toys.  What wattage should I be looking for?

PC, J River software, opticaRendu, Schitt Ygg DAC,Tortuga Pre, Torta Radu tube buffer, Linear Tube Audio ZOTL10, Spatial Audio X5w/pair of GR Research dual 12" open baffle servo subwoofers tamed by DSpeaker Dual-Core DSP , Audience AU24 SE  spkr cable, handmade silver interconnects,

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 01:59:19 PM
A 5W pot will suffice.

Just as a side note - the control will produce a little static when you're adjusting it.  If the control fails, audio output will cease all together.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Grainger49

Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 02:56:04 PM
Glynn,

If you like really dialing the hum pot down to the lowest reading try a pair of these:

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/BI-Technologies/AR10L5/?qs=gQBTb7UQo2KGWe6ugobfig%3d%3d

I put a pair in my Paramours.

Offline glynnw

Reply #3 on: October 02, 2013, 03:07:37 PM
Holy shamoley - $66 each?  I'll think about it. But I am currently not able to hear the hum when adjusted right.

This evening I soaked the pot in question in Caig Deoxit and that seems to have worked, at least for the last hour .

PC, J River software, opticaRendu, Schitt Ygg DAC,Tortuga Pre, Torta Radu tube buffer, Linear Tube Audio ZOTL10, Spatial Audio X5w/pair of GR Research dual 12" open baffle servo subwoofers tamed by DSpeaker Dual-Core DSP , Audience AU24 SE  spkr cable, handmade silver interconnects,

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #4 on: October 02, 2013, 03:33:29 PM
Yeah I was going to suggest exercising the pot. It hardly ever moves and sitting like that is what creates a noisy spot. twisting it a few times will often clean off the oxidation that has formed on the spot.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.