Soft Start Help

MisterM · 2198

Offline MisterM

on: September 14, 2013, 05:13:46 AM
I successfully installed the Soft Start upgrade into one Paramount and all works exceptionally well. The second Soft Start installation however is giving me problems. Note: all measurements were made with my trusty Fluke 85.

On power up:
      All LED

Frank Horvatich

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: September 14, 2013, 07:54:27 AM

I did find a short (zero resistance) between K @ R legs of the A side LM 431and found no solder bridges etc. The B side LM 431 shows nothing similar, so is it possible that the LM 431 is bad?

That would prevent you from dialing in your plate voltage.  I'd carefully remove that 431, then be sure there isn't a short with no 431 installed.

FWIW, I would suspect there is an issue on the board, or with the jumpers that is creating this isse.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline MisterM

Reply #2 on: September 15, 2013, 03:09:07 AM
I checked all components and jumpers on the board, all are in the proper place, then I removed the LM 431 without damage to the board but broke off the center lead (dang) and still had the short between K and r.  I then disconnected one end of the A side Kreg to Breg jumper and eliminated the short which led me to the trim pot.  I think when I originally checked the pot I only checked to see if it was 10K and did not check the wiper. I found wiper to one side resistance of almost 10K and almost 0 ohms to the other side that is connected to pin

Frank Horvatich

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: September 15, 2013, 07:17:27 AM
Hmm, this is very solid troubleshooting!

If you write replacementparts(At)bottlehead(dot)com, we can put those in the mail for you.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline Grainger49

Reply #4 on: September 15, 2013, 07:48:09 AM
MisterM,

Your moniker, MisterM, is in no way linked to your real name or address.  I'm sure many are unaware of that. 

So if you want parts those, your name and address, must be supplied.

Bottlehead is fast about sending out replacements if there is an official Bottlehead in town.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 11:14:07 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline MisterM

Reply #5 on: September 16, 2013, 10:56:16 AM
Grainger,  I don't know what you mean by "moniker not linked" or how one would accomplish that feat.  Also parts are on the way to finalize the soft start install thanks to P.B. and the great folks at Bottleheadquarters.

Frank Horvatich

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #6 on: September 16, 2013, 10:57:49 AM
Read the first rule here:

http://www.bottlehead.com/smf/index.php/topic,3.0.html

Your first name and last initial are good enough in my book.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline Grainger49

Reply #7 on: September 16, 2013, 11:15:45 AM
Grainger,  I don't know what you mean by "moniker not linked"    .  .  .   

I edited my post to make it plain what I meant.

I was trying to point out that "MisterM", which could just as easily refer to me, was insufficient to get you parts sent.

Offline MisterM

Reply #8 on: September 16, 2013, 12:32:48 PM
Thanks Grainger and Paul, I think I changed my profile with your help.  This 'puter stuff is confusing to this "analog old timer".  By the way, MisterM comes from my once in a lifetime buy of a rare BMW Mcoupe which I drive for fun on nice sunny days and have kept in mint condition for the past 15 years.

Frank Horvatich