Right channel 3db lower than left

denti alligator · 1751

Offline denti alligator

on: February 07, 2016, 05:21:03 AM
My right channel has been giving me trouble for a while. I ended up replacing the RCA jacks for inputs and outputs. Now I'm noticing a significantly lower volume in the right channel, which I measured using a test LP to be about 3db lower than the left.

I think when I push down on the input it improves. I've tried tightening the RCA jacks but am afraid of stripping and ruining them, which I've done to several. Anyway, is there something I can do to get that extra volume?

- Sam

Rega P3-24 (w/AT 150MLX) w/Groovetracer upgrades / Eros II / FLAC >J.River >DSD256 >Gustard X20 / Moreplay > Stereomour II / Klipsch Forte II w/Crites upgrades / C4S S.E.X. 2.0 +Nickel MQ Iron / Speedball Crack / Sennheiser HD600 w/Cardas cable

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: February 07, 2016, 11:02:29 AM
You are posting in the Quickie forum, but the difference could as easily be in the phono cartridge or the phono preamp. Left-right swapping of cables and tubes will help sort that out.

Paul Joppa

Offline denti alligator

Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 11:06:18 AM
Right, sorry. I've ruled out the phono pre or main amp. Different sources display the same problem, though I was only able to measure using the test LP.

Sound is centered slightly left of the middle point between the speakers.

I've stopped tubes and cables, too.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 11:09:07 AM by denti alligator »

- Sam

Rega P3-24 (w/AT 150MLX) w/Groovetracer upgrades / Eros II / FLAC >J.River >DSD256 >Gustard X20 / Moreplay > Stereomour II / Klipsch Forte II w/Crites upgrades / C4S S.E.X. 2.0 +Nickel MQ Iron / Speedball Crack / Sennheiser HD600 w/Cardas cable

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: February 07, 2016, 11:17:40 AM
OK, so it's in the Quickie and it's not the tubes. It could be in the volume control - have you tested at maximum gain? It could be a failure of one of the cathode bypass caps, likely either a bad solder joint or reversed polarity. It could (of course!) be a bad solder joint somewhere, perhaps in the signal path but could be elsewhere - it's always easy to re-flow all the solder joints.

Paul Joppa

Offline denti alligator

Reply #4 on: February 07, 2016, 11:32:36 AM
OK, will do. I had trouble with one of the inputs some time back. It wasn't tightly enough. I meant, it was tight, and wasn't wiggly. But it needed to be tighter. This solved some of the scratchiness I was getting. I'm thinking something similar may be going on...

I aim to upgrade from my Quickie/SEX combo to the Steremour II this summer, using the SEX as a headphone amp, and retiring the Quickie, so maybe I shouldn't waste too much time on this, especially since it sounds fine, even if slightly off center.

- Sam