Desk or workbench light recommendation

Natural Sound · 4586

Offline Natural Sound

on: September 23, 2013, 04:26:06 PM
I've been searching for the perfect desktop / workbench light for years and I think I've finally found it. Over the past 52 years I've noticed my eyesight degrade as one would expect. I've noticed that more than my prescription changing I need more light on my work as well. Reading the bands on resistors or part numbers on transistors etc. often times required the assistance of a flash-light or another source of supplemental light.

In addition to my need for great tube sound I've been a lover of radio since I was a young lad. One of the vendors I've been especially loyal to is CCRANE out of Fortuna CA. While perusing their website one day I discovered the Aeonic 2 LED Lamp. I did a bit of research and discovered many favorable reviews for this product so I decided to give it a whirl. Boy am I glad I did. I can see SO much better now with this lamp.

They advertise, "four color temperature modes from warm to cool that satisfy a variety of personal illumination needs." Actually there are three plus a "bedtime" mode which is simply a reduced "warm" mode. Each mode has 5 brightness settings. In all there are 20 different settings.

I highly recommend this lamp if you are looking for something to, "light up your work."
http://www.ccrane.com/lights/light-accessories/aeonic-2-led-lamp.aspx#.UkDcWXg26PI

I am not affiliated with CCrane in any way. I'm just a very happy customer.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 02:12:18 AM
My eyes need more help.  I have had one of these for 25 years but it broke and I replaced it.

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/21-935
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 08:39:18 AM by Grainger49 »

4krow

Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 07:15:11 AM
  While I like some of C.Cranes' products, I usually find them to be very expensive. Interesting that they show kelvin temperature, wattage, but no lumen output. This seems to be a common problem with many LED manufacturers. Personally, I would want at least 100 lumens or more for a desk lamp.

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 01:51:17 PM
  While I like some of C.Cranes' products, I usually find them to be very expensive. Interesting that they show kelvin temperature, wattage, but no lumen output. This seems to be a common problem with many LED manufacturers. Personally, I would want at least 100 lumens or more for a desk lamp.

Perhaps one of these would better fit your needs.
http://gizmodo.com/5880609/this-15000-lumens-led-light-cannon-will-turn-night-to-day
 ;)

4krow

Reply #4 on: September 24, 2013, 02:25:50 PM
Yeeha!   THAT'S a hell of a bright light light and LED no less. I must admit that after working in the desert for 17 years outside, my eyes really do feel burned out. It takes more than ever to make it light.

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #5 on: March 21, 2014, 07:58:11 AM
Reviving this thread to see if anybody has a good recommendation fir an overhead LED light to illuminate a work surface. Something that would go on a ceiling over the work area, or under a shelf. Prefferably with a transformer power source and an easy to mount remote power switch. My workbench is in a closet off my listening room and it has no lighting, which I don't mind, but folks who may be over to help me really do like there to be some light. Not enough room for a desktop lamp.

Thanks,

Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline Grainger49

Reply #6 on: March 21, 2014, 08:46:46 AM
I read your post with great interest, wondering why does Jim want a light.  Then at the end I got it.

Yes, it must be unnerving to others to be in the dark.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #7 on: March 21, 2014, 09:42:34 AM
I'd recommend incandescent if possible, and the hardware store generally has kits for lighting to be installed on the bottom of kitchen cabinets.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man