Issue with my first plug in

shawazir · 1918

Offline shawazir

on: October 25, 2013, 04:10:06 PM
Hi everyone,
I finished building the crack. Everything checks out with regard to resistance and voltage measurements. However, at some point, my gear setup was not complete as I probably did not connect the DAC to my PC, I don't really remember. Anyway, I plugged in my headphones (Senn HD 650), and there was nothing, as expected. After all, the setup was not complete. However, shortly after that, I started hearing scratching and popping sound. A few seconds later, the scratching sound got louder and louder until, suddenly, I heard a very LOUD popping sound. Then, there was nothing ... complete silence. I don't wanna talk about how I was grieving over my headphones because I thought it was damaged. That was pathetic. But I really thought the loud pop did something bad to my headphones and the only reason I had heard nothing was because my headphones stopped working. Thankfully, I tried my headphones on another device and it was fine. I also completed my setup and tried my headphones and they worked fine with the Crack. No problems so far; this is the Crack's second day. However, I still feel uncomfortable about what happened before and still worry that there might be a problem in my build which could appear again and deliver to my headphones the finishing blow this time.
So, would you please give me your opinion about what might have happened?

Best regards,

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #1 on: October 25, 2013, 06:18:47 PM
Clean the tube pins, plug them in and out a few times. Then without phones, let it play for a day or so, then try it.

Don't leave it on if you're not there...John

John S.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #2 on: October 26, 2013, 08:08:43 AM
Sounds like you missed a solder joint.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline shawazir

Reply #3 on: October 26, 2013, 08:18:52 AM
Thank you 2wo for your reply.
I do not have the problem currently. It appeared when I first plugged in my headphones and disappeared. It seemed to me like a disturbance in the flow of electricity. However, since I'm a novice when it comes to electronics, I wouldn't really bet on any assumptions I come up with. I will follow your advice and watch out.
Your feedback is appreciated. Thanks again.

Best regards,

Offline shawazir

Reply #4 on: October 26, 2013, 08:33:10 AM
Hi Doc B,
Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
Now that you mentioned it, that actually happened. I missed a solder joint during the build. However, in the final check, I found it and fixed it. I looked for other missing solder joints again and couldn't find any. Is checking the joints with a magnifier the only option here?

Best regards,

Offline Zimmer64

• Blog
Reply #5 on: October 26, 2013, 08:40:04 AM
I usually check all joints with a magnifying glass plus I take high resolution photos and zoom into the details on the iPad :-) (just to be sure)

Enjoy your need gear.

Michael

Nelson Pass F5 Turbo V2, Quickie (mod), S.E.X. 2.1, Tubes4hifi SP14, Dynaco VTA ST 70, Tubelab SSE, Vroemen Diva Superiore ER4, Jordan JX92S VTL, 47 labs 0647 CD, Aqvox DAC, Rowen Absolute pre / psu / power amps, BG Neo3 / Betsy / Eminence A15 open baffles

Offline shawazir

Reply #6 on: October 26, 2013, 08:58:03 AM
Wow. I'm impressed, Michael. You're very thorough. I will try that.
Thanks and best regards.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #7 on: October 26, 2013, 09:27:38 AM
Michael,

That is such a good idea I wish I had thought of it.