Low-volume, high-pitched left channel hum that increases when I tap power tube

tusing · 1110

Offline tusing

Hi!

I recently bought the Crack with the following mods, as described by the seller:

• The box is well glued, sanded, and has many many layers of black lacquer.
  • The internal wiring is pure silver (99.99%) throughout the signal path. The silver wire is sleeved with pure cotton, then heat shrink.
  • Speedball upgrade installed
  • Added a choke
  • Added the Cree Schottky rectifier mod.
  • The plastic knob has been replaced with a machined solid aluminum knob.
  • Finally, I used a 21 stepped attenuator rather than the stock pot.
  • Stock tubes, but optional great tubes below.

There is a very light buzz/hum in the left channel that is driving me insane. It's high pitched and the ringing either increases or disappears when I tap the power tube.

The hum happens even with the volume turned all the way down and the RCA jacks disconnected.

What steps should I take to eliminate this hum? I am capable of using a soldering iron but I have no clue where to start.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 04:40:29 PM by tusing »

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
You could return it to the seller. 

If tapping on anything causes changes, this tends to indicate a poor connection somewhere in the amp. 

I would start be performing the voltage checks as directed in the Speedball manual.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline tusing

You could return it to the seller. 

If tapping on anything causes changes, this tends to indicate a poor connection somewhere in the amp. 

I would start be performing the voltage checks as directed in the Speedball manual.

Unfortunately, returning to the seller isn't an option.

I turned over the Crack and resoldered most of the joints I could reach. Not all of them - wasn't able to reach some of the joints for the front tube - but I did reflow A7 which seems like has been a source of hum for a lot of people.

I suppose this decreases the likelihood of this being a connection issue?

I have a cheap power tube on order that will arrive by Friday night. Let's see how that does.

Offline adydula

Curious as to what type of tubes are in the amp?
Alex

Offline tusing

Curious as to what type of tubes are in the amp?
Alex

The default Phillips 6080 and a Siemens Silver Plate 12au7. The problem is not with the 12AU7 as I've a few of these.