LED A8 center pin f...up

Brutale · 2237

Offline Brutale

on: December 11, 2013, 05:04:15 AM
Yes I know, I am a real amatuer. I know the manual tell you to check all soder joints and all.
Well I did

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: December 11, 2013, 06:57:44 AM
Can you post your voltages? That will give us a clear picture of what might be going on. (Incidentally, I don't think having that short there should damage the LED)

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Brutale

Reply #2 on: December 11, 2013, 07:02:22 AM
Sorry!
Since I desolder the LED

Offline Brutale

Reply #3 on: December 11, 2013, 07:11:23 AM
Can you post your voltages? That will give us a clear picture of what might be going on. (Incidentally, I don't think having that short there should damage the LED)

Just tested both LED s The one at A3 lights up but the A8 one did not so I guess it

Offline John EH

Reply #4 on: December 11, 2013, 10:32:25 AM
I don't want to pounce on the technical discussion here but for any potential builders here who aren't confident solderers I strongly recommend before following the manual construction steps to first either mount the 9 pin tube socket in the chassis or a small vise and solder the LED's from 3 and 8 to center pin and also the black wire from the center pin cut to length and soldered to center pin.

It will make your life oh so much easier. 

I recently built 2 Cracks.  First one I followed the steps.  I'm a pretty good (great) solderer and have all the tools and just had a hell of a time with those LED's.  On the 2nd Crack the absolute first thing I did was to solder the LED's to the 9 pin socket while there was nothing in the way.    Sooooooo much easier.

Offline Brutale

Reply #5 on: December 13, 2013, 08:00:04 AM
My original question remains un answerd, did I damage anything else like the tube?

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #6 on: December 13, 2013, 08:03:52 AM
I don't think anybody can answer your specific question unless we recreate your exact circumstances, which would be purposely damaging an amplifier. 

If you have damaged a tube, this will appear when you run your voltage checks, as a high or low voltage in certain places. 

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Brutale

Reply #7 on: December 14, 2013, 01:53:16 AM
I don

Offline antoineestephan

Reply #8 on: December 16, 2013, 03:03:25 AM
Hi
Something very similar happened to me, after I installed the speedball upgrade. I had to wait a month plus to get the replacement LEDs, I actually ordered quite a few.
In the meantime, while waiting, I tried some generic red LEDs that worked and lit up, so I was confident that nothing else was damaged. The sound quality did suffer a little though. May be more than just a little.
When the original LEDs finally came I replaced them and now I'm happy.
I hope you too have nothing else damaged.

Offline JamieMcC

Reply #9 on: December 16, 2013, 05:09:41 AM
If you brought a Speedball kit along with the Crack which you have yet to fit you could rob a led from that while you wait for spares.

Shoot for the moon if you miss you will still be amongst the stars!