RCA+resistor mod, liking the results

JamieMcC · 1546

Offline JamieMcC

on: December 17, 2013, 11:26:59 PM
Thought I would try the easy to do mod of soldering in a couple of 270K resistors inline with the RCA inputs as per Pauls suggested mod in the Crack FAQ section. Using a Vishay 270K, 5%, 0.25W Metal Film and it works a treat.

Resulted in a feeling of having improved range and finer user control of the volume levels it also removed a very slight channel imbalance which was noticeable at the lowest level.

Thanks Paul

Jamie.

Shoot for the moon if you miss you will still be amongst the stars!

Offline Evan

Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 12:13:14 PM
 I am considering doing this, but I think I am going to wait and see what the BH Dac outputs. I'm currently using a Music Streamer II and with iTunes at full volume I'm limited to the first 1/4 turn of the attenuator. I haven't noticed any channel imbalance with my control. I've read that turning the iTunes volume control down decreases the bit depth but I don't know if that is actually true. I'm more inclined toward a "mechanical" solution like the resistors.

Stereomour => SEOS Fusion 12 Tempest

Crack => Senn HD600

Offline JamieMcC

Reply #2 on: December 19, 2013, 01:08:28 PM
I also have one of the Valab 23 Step Attenuators on its way and am planning to take out the resistors when I fit it, swapping them back in if needed as it only takes a couple of minutes to do so.

Shoot for the moon if you miss you will still be amongst the stars!