Help with Soldering iron tip to buy

Hornet900 · 4406

Offline Hornet900

on: February 07, 2014, 05:02:59 AM
Hello all :)

I have  Bottlehead crack on order that I'm building soon and need a little advise on which soldering iron tip to buy.
A friend gave me a soldring iron made by weller ,  on the handle it says "Weller TCP-Z 24v/45w"  .... the box unit says   "Weller PS-3D"  "50VA 240/24V 50 hz" 
Could someone please tell me which is a good soldering iron tip to buy and use with the CARDAS Quad Eutectic Solder ...like shape size and heat (chisel Conical screwdriver????

Thank you ..Hello from England  :)
PS I'm building the standard bottlehead crack with out the speedball upgrade..... (My soldering iron at the moment has a very thin pointed tip)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 05:49:56 AM by Hornet900 »

Austin

Offline RPMac

Reply #2 on: February 07, 2014, 09:45:29 AM
I think you have what you need, particularly for PCB work. A larger tip helps when needing to heat a larger piece of metal.
I got some Cardas .032" to try...really liked it.
Good luck!

Offline Grainger49

Reply #3 on: February 07, 2014, 10:40:00 AM
The first one looks like the Weller tip I have been using since about 1972.  Paul Joppa likes one that looks like a pencil tip.

I guess you might buy one of each and see.  I think the pencil tip might be easier on PCBs but not for terminals and tube sockets.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 03:27:45 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline mcandmar

• Not all engineers are civil
Reply #4 on: February 07, 2014, 10:54:21 AM
I always use a 2-3mm wedge tip as i find its much easier to heat the part and solder pad when working on pcbs.  For working on point to point wiring (i.e. Bottlehead kits) without doubt a wedge tip is the way to go, larger contact area = better heat transfer which makes soldering easier and more reliable.

Only time i ever use a fine tip is on small SMD components, or if you need to get at a single leg of a chip.  They are cheap, so buy one of each and experiment.

I love the Cardas solder as its so easy to work with though i recommend you go buy some IPA (Isopropanol alcohol) to clean any parts you are working on as it has a high flux content that leaves a right mess.  Especially circuit boards, you will need to scrub them clean with a toothbrush after using that stuff.

M.McCandless

Offline Hornet900

Reply #5 on: February 07, 2014, 11:23:56 AM
Thanks guys  :)  I will  buy the 2 
WELLER - PT-M8 - TIP, CONICAL, 3.2MM
WELLER - PT-CC8 - TIP, ROUND, SLOPED, 3.2MM

Would I be right with the heat tho 430

Austin

Offline mcandmar

• Not all engineers are civil
Reply #6 on: February 07, 2014, 02:32:15 PM

M.McCandless

Offline RPMac

Reply #7 on: February 07, 2014, 02:44:53 PM
I had one like that on my hakko. Worked great on the bigger things with plenty of room, but I found it too big for tight PCB work. Used my weller with a pencil point for that, but there was a big difference between the Hakko and the weller...I have a pencil point for my hakko now.

Offline Hornet900

Reply #8 on: February 08, 2014, 07:16:25 AM
This is what i would use http://uk.farnell.com/weller/pt-b8/tip-screwdriver-2-4mm/dp/800521

Thank you....ordered  2.4mm tip from USA as couldn't find none in stock over here.
I also ordered the solder some wire strippers and solder wick.

Thanks again :)

Austin