Possible C4S/Speedball testing procedure

mcandmar · 1455

Offline mcandmar

• Not all engineers are civil
on: February 23, 2014, 06:20:09 AM
I found this video on testing NPN and PNP resistors () which got me thinking, would it be possible to do the same basic test with a multimeter while the transistors are in circuit?

It just seems a fairly common occurrence for people to have issues with these boards from non illuminated LED's to accidental shorts while doing voltage checks.  I just thought it might be useful to put together a short test procedure to verify if the transistors are functioning or not. Does that sound feasible?

Also if you ever have the chance to alter the board design you should consider adding a few dedicated test points, that should avoid accidental shorting of the transistors and also serve to verify they are soldered onto the board properly.

M.McCandless

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 06:22:50 AM
What we generally find is that there are about three common problems during the Speedball upgrade, and that a lot of our users damage the boards/transistors while trying to take voltage measurements of transistor pins for which we do not specify voltages.

We are working on this issue in particular, and will have something more helpful available in the near future.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man