Nassau "Pedigreed" Solder

wookiee · 3359

Offline wookiee

on: May 12, 2014, 09:50:25 AM
Hello.

I purchased a Crack with the speedball upgrade in March and just now have the time to start building it. While looking for solder with Bottlehead's recommended metal content (I only had 95/5 tin/antimony solder), my grandma gave me solder that my grandpa used when he was working for the Bell Telephone Company. There is no metal content listed, and I have spent hours searching the internet and different forums hoping to find more information about it, specifically the content. The spool reads:

Nassau "Pedigreed" Pure Water White Rosin Core Solder, C Rosin SPEC-AT-7076, (5lbs made by Nassau Smelting and Refining Co. Staten Island New York).

As I said, I would love to know more about it. While searching the internet, I found that 5lb spools of this stuff sells for hundreds of dollars, so I imagine that it is quite good solder. My grandma said that it is at least 30 years old, so I imagine that it has a pretty high lead content.

What does everyone think? Should I try using it to build my crack? If needed, I will post a picture of the spool. Thanks for the help, and I can't wait to complete the crack!

Offline JamieMcC

Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 10:24:11 AM
Hi, I don't know anything about your solder but think the family connection is neat and personally I think you have a fantastic opportunity to make something that will provide a special family connection and know doubt make Grandma extremely proud. Often its small things like this which have significant wellbeing and immense personal satisfaction value.

Have a practice on a cheap cmoy amp build first,  perhaps someone here might suggest something suitable to test it on.

Sounds like a great opportunity don't be put off trying it out.

Shoot for the moon if you miss you will still be amongst the stars!

Offline galyons

• Geary Lyons
Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 10:32:32 AM
The spec for 7026 AT solder appears to be 60/40 Tin/lead (Sn/Pb). (Have also seen 68/32). Not much online, just reading labels in pics.

Cheers,
Geary

VPI TNT IV/JMW 3D 12+Benz LP-S>  Eros + Auralic Aries + ANK Dac 4.1 >Eros TH+ Otari MX5050 IIIB2 > BeePre >Paramount 300B 7N7 > EV Sentry IV-A

Thorens TD124/Ortofon RMG-212/SPU >Seduction > Smash^Up> Paramour 45 MQ >K12's