Yet another amp matching question: Bel Canto evo 2

Nav.B · 1272

Offline Nav.B

Much to my joy I recently received a tracking number for my BeePre (I'll be back asking for help when my helpers can't get it working :D ).

I hope that someone here have experience (or who can scry based on the specs below) with the Bel canto evo 2, with regards to whether or not it will be on amicable terms with the BeePre.
I believe these are the relevant numbers, I'll be running it on 4ohm speakers which are about 91db sensitive.

Output power: Stereo - @ 8 Ohms-120 W/@ 4 Ohms-240 W
Gain - @ 8 Ohms-23 dB/@ 4 Ohms-29 dB
Bandwidth 1 Hz - 80 KHz -3 dB
THD and Noise: < 1% THD at rated power
Damping Factor: >100, below 100 Hz
Input Impedance: 100k OHMS

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 08:02:10 AM
The BeePre will work well with that amplifier.  You will likely have too much gain in your system, however, as your speakers are pretty efficient and your amplifier pretty sensitive.

If you end up having very little useful range in the level control of your BeePre, or some audible tube rush between tracks, there are some easy steps that can be taken to put things back into place.  (-10dB of attenuation at the input of the amplifier would be my best guess as to what would optimize this combination, or less efficient speakers)

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Nav.B

Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 09:51:29 AM
Thank you for your answer.
The power amp is not set in stone for me either. I would prefer to have a stock version of the Bee to begin with because I expect trouble putting it together (stock should make it easier to get help here). So now I'm thinking of an amp with adjustable input (only one that comes to mind is Nad 275bee atm).