Foreplay III help required

baddog1946 · 1855

Offline baddog1946

on: April 28, 2010, 05:04:16 AM

Referring to "baddog1946" comments in "Foreplay III exteded section of the forum asking for help regarding the "B" side C4S board.

Earlier posts on this are in the Foreplay !!! section of the forum under "extende".

I am Still having the same problems.

Well I have been at this for two more days and there is still a problem with my C4S "B" socket board. The problem is the same. The "B" socket C4S board lights up for a few seconds then fades to almost nothing on the "A" side and the "B" side is dead. The center pin "B" socket LED lights up briefly but also fades although not completely out.

I have been over the entire build again from the beginning and there are two items that do not add up.

What happens to the red wire that goes from 21L to 32L? In the final demolition section on page 16 it says to cut this red wire at the 21L end leaving the other end attached at 32L. Yet in several subsequent pictures including the final two photos of the completed demolition it still shows this wire in its place uncut.

In fact several pages later it still seems to be present namely on page 29 in third from the top photo and possibly in the top photo as well. Although that one goes out of the photo's margins.

page 30 also appears to show this wire in the top photo. In the following photos on the same page it appears to be missing.Two photos on page 32 show it missing as well.

Later in the build on page 38 it says to attach and solder a red wire from 32U to the second pad "O" on the "B" end of the shunt regulator board.Therefore is this is  another new wire from 32U??  There is still no mention of what happened to the red wire left at 32L. Where does it go??

The manual then moves on to the "A" socket from there.

Finally on page 40 two steps appear to say to connect two wires to the same place. The third item on this page of  the "B" socket instructions says to connect the red wire from B1 to pad "I" on the "A" end of the C4S board  and the next step says to connect a red wire from 32U to pad "I" on the "A" end of the "B socket C4S board.

Is that two connections to the same hole?
Is it supposed to mean connect this red wire from B1 to the "O" pad as it seems to show in the photo?? Or have I lost it??

Is this a typo?? Does B1 go to pad"O" or "I" and does the red wire from "32U?" go to "I" or"O"?? The photos show it as so. that is also how it works in the "A" side C4Sas well. What am I to believe the photos or the written instructions.

As I mentioned the wire from 32L was shown in place after it was supposed to be removed and appeared in the final demolition photo intact.
 I'm confused about what should be followed. Photos or instructions?? No mention is ever made of where to connect 32L again. Should it remain connected as it was originally or is there a typo here that confuses this wire with 32U?? and it should be connected somewhere??

there are a lot of wires going to 32U. 21 and 32 are corresponding points on "A" and "B" socket contact strips what is the correct number of connections to 32 "L" or "U"  or both on the "B" socket side??

My final observation is that if the wire from 32L that was supposed to be cut remains connected between 21 and 32 I get the LEDS on the "B" socket C4S board to light up on the "A" side and stay lit but "B" side remains dead. If it is disconnected then "A" side lights up then fades to almost nothing.The "B" side is always dead.

A supplemental final observation is the the LED's on the center board light up a lot brighter than any of the other LED's on the other boards and the "350" transistor on the "B" side of the center gets very hot compared to the others on C4S the boards.

My question remains what happens to the red wire that was left at 32L?? How can I fire up the "B" side of the "B" socket C4S board?

Sorry to be such a pain but I am really stumped by this and I still wonder if any damage was done to the transistors by any of this.
 If that is possible what should I check for first? All the resistances and voltages appear to be within the 10% margin of error.
I would like to make sure I know where I went wrong before I resort to any parts swaps.

I need a little advice from the guys who designed this circuit and have an idea of what it is doing when these things occur.
I have given it my best shot at trouble shooting but what is wrong here escapes me.

Hope someone can help

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 05:52:10 AM
What am I to believe the photos or the written instructions.

The photos are usually the best bet, since they are of a working prototype. It appears that you were somehow sent an early manual with uncorrected typos. My apologies, I haven't yet figured out where it came from. My best guess is that someone was burning PDF manuals from some source besides the folder we keep the current version in. We will send you the current version of the manual and please let us know of any replacement parts you need.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline baddog1946

Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 01:35:50 PM
Thanks Doc
I will be getting the correct manual from the queen by mail soon and will check out my foreplay for where I went wrong. Let you know what happens when I know.
Thanks again