300B headphone amp...

Oberst Oswald · 2319

Offline Oberst Oswald

on: July 12, 2014, 09:39:16 AM
"Actually we have been discussing the future possibility of a 300B headphone amp, since it would need to be somewhat different than a BeePre to be optimal."  Doc B

Since I have built enough amps & pre amps I'm at the stage where there is nothing left to keep the soldering iron hot.  About the only thing that could be considered would be some kind of so called super amp that, while probably being expensive, have the ability to be the end of the equipment side of this hobby for me.  Anything going on behind closed doors Doc...?

X-Fi > Stello DA100 > BeePre > SEX 2.1, Beta 22 or Bijou.    Paramounts > Extended Foreplay III > Thiel CS2 
Stax SR-Lambda with SRD-7/SB
Denon D-7000
Audez'e LCD-2r2
Sennheiser HD 800

Offline JamieMcC

Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 09:46:08 AM
"Actually we have been discussing the future possibility of a 300B headphone amp, since it would need to be somewhat different than a BeePre to be optimal."  Doc B

Now that sounds exciting!

Shoot for the moon if you miss you will still be amongst the stars!

Offline fullheadofnothing

• Global Moderator
  • A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man
Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 11:01:11 AM
Dan's on vacation right now, but I can shed some light.

First of all, uncited quotes are a pet peeve of mine. Without the context of the quote, it's hard to know how to take it. Here is the source of the quote:
http://bottlehead.com/smf/index.php/topic,3997.msg36380.html#msg36380

What is particularly of note here is the date, March of 2013. In May of 2013, the Mainline went on presale. Since that time, I do not believe there has been any discussion of a different high-end headphone amplifier. If there has been, it was fleeting, I wasn't in the room, and there hasn't been followup in any of our semi-formal discussions about future products (which frequently include digressions into products that we all kinda know aren't going to happen (and no, I will not provide examples of these)). If you aren't clear on why there wouldn't be further discussions along these lines, I'd recommend listening to a Mainline. The combinations of circuit, technology, and iron of a stock Mainline sounds so much better than most headphone amps it's not even funny. If you are really serious about high quality headphone amplification, the Mainline is a serious amplifier.

The other thing in the thread linked is that PB essentially recommends the Paramount as a headphone amp. Oberst, have you tried this? They definitely sound great on the K1000s. Rig up the cable and try it if you really want 300Bs on your cans.

Joshua Harris

I Write the Manuals That Make The Whole World Sing
Kit Packer Emeritus

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: July 12, 2014, 11:15:33 AM
I know I'm being very slow on this but keep an eye on the SR45 project. There are a few things unsaid because it's premature, but the project is developing.

Paul Joppa

Offline xcortes

Reply #4 on: July 12, 2014, 11:21:15 AM
Wow

Xavier Cortes

Offline johnsonad

Reply #5 on: July 12, 2014, 05:10:08 PM
We figured you had been up to something special PJ over the last couple of years  :P.

Aaron Johnson