Amplifier and Speaker advice

Horatio · 1666

Offline Horatio

on: July 27, 2014, 01:26:00 AM
Hi, after a very successful Crack build my attention has turned to looking for something to drive a loudspeaker setup. This has led to a couple of questions - likely driven by my lack of experience in this area so any help would be gratefully received.

My primary sources are a Schiit Bifrost DAC, iMac and Pioneer DDJ-SB mixer. I am considering adding a Smash DHT preamp and a Stereomour amplifier possibly to a set of Blumenstein Orca Speakers with a Dungeness subwoofer. Listening takes place in a room that is roughly 15' x 15' with a 10' ceiling. Musical tastes are quite eclectic ranging across classical, blues, jazz, lounge to house (less frequent) and there will likely be some home theatre use.

1) Does the Stereomour require / benefit from a preamp like the Smash? Are they an appropriate combination?

2) Would the Stereomour / Orca / Dungeness combo be likely to fill the room adequately  - I am not normally the type of listener who feels the need to 'turn it up to 11' however nor would I want to feel like I was having to drive everything at 100% for 'normal' levels - however it would be nice to know there was a little headroom should it ever be required.

3) Is there an obvious alternative I am missing that would come in at a similar $2500 budget for Amp / Preamp / Speakers?

Any help on the above would be gratefully received.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 01:46:40 AM
Let's see if I can help:

1) Stereomour is set up with a selector switch, 3 pair of inputs and volume control so it doesn't need a preamp in front of it.  The circuitry is similar to my Paramours and I have a preamp in front of them. 

2) Your room is very similar to mine, 13'X23'X8'.  I get satisfying volume with the Paramour/Orca/Dungeness combination.  I play Jazz, Folk, Classic Rock, Bluegrass and sometimes Taiko drum music.  I play the rock and Taiko drums at good volume levels.

3) I think you have found a sweet spot in the price range here.  Get a friend to bring over a preamp and see if it adds something to the sound of your system to decide on whether or not you want the Smash. 

Offline Horatio

Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 07:32:22 AM
Thanks for the advice - that is very useful and much appreciated! I will put the preamp on the back burner for the time being.

Out of curiosity are you using the base Orca or the Orca Deluxe - I am not going to be able to audition these before buying and its hard to tell how dramatic the difference between them will be.

Thanks for the help!

Offline Grainger49

Reply #3 on: July 27, 2014, 03:08:53 PM
The base Orcas.

Offline Horatio

Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 09:15:35 AM
Excellent - thanks for the advice. Stereomour ordered and off now to snag those Orca's!

Thanks again!

Offline Chris

Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 11:16:44 AM
I have this question...maybe dumb , but, IF a 7 foot line stage with MANY drivers is 96 db efficient,  can a single digit or a 15 to 20 watt really deliver the power and grip to power all those drivers?? or is there MORE to the "efficiency" ratings than just db? thank you for any reply

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #6 on: July 30, 2014, 11:50:05 AM
Sure, because the amp doesn't really have to "grip" the drivers. Each individual driver is barely moving compared to a single driver putting out the same SPL. Think about how much more linear that could be and you start to understand why bass arrays kind of fascinate me.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Chris

Reply #7 on: July 30, 2014, 11:59:09 AM
Thank you Doc... And I know,  arrays have always caught my eye as well... I have heard a couple bass arrays..1 being a DIY job to GREAT effect..2 towers of 6  15 inchers.. each driver barely had to move and the bass "quality" was excellent... they were used in a set of Infinity RS-1s.. the guy wanted to improve on the original bass arrays with  the  watkins drivers.. He thought he succeeded and was pleased...