TL404 Projects, what would you do with a pair of TL-404's?

Alonzo · 1907

Offline Alonzo

• Not all those who wander are lost
As I grill dinner tonight, I'm going over the options on headphone amps for the upcoming TL404 Opts being done by Mike L.  Copying the 6C45 version of the Expressivo is one option but I'd like to use my "in stock" current transformer/tube/resistor inventory.  So I will most likely be going 2A3 or 45 or EL84, driven by 6CM7 or 12A variant or maybe a CK5755, some sort of combination that will works with the PS's I have and the Opts.  My idea is to start at the Opts and work backwards, get the simplest design possible, cleanest power possible and if that's doesn't sound good with the current parts I have then maybe try different designs or fixes. 

So a CLCRC Power supply, a good paper/oil cap at the opt, choke load with a BCP-15 is my starting point.

What are the other people who purchased TL404's thinking of doing?

Alonzo
Gameroom:>Mainline to HD820, SR45 to Pipette
>BeePree Kaiju & SII to Altec 19 knockoffs
Office:>BH Stat amp to Koss 95x, T20 SET to JBL 4309s
Den:> MorePlay 845 SET to Altec Valencia's

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: July 13, 2014, 05:24:35 PM
The obvious choice would be to squeeze them onto the Mainline.

The Espressivo, and the Bottlehead Kugelis 6C45 that came before it are designs that have been improved upon over the last few decades, and taking advantage of these improvements would be paramount to maximizing performance from the TL404.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Alonzo

Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 07:22:41 PM
Hi Paul,
I thought of that, but that's $1200 I don't have lying around right now. But I have a ton of parts...maybe 3 or 4 breadboard failures later I will re-consider.

Also this is a learning tool for me, my Crack sounds great, and not having heard the Mainline, it's hard to justify the big price.  I don't know what I don't know.

There's a headphone expo here next week or so, will BH attend?

I have 2 beautiful 2A3 mesh plates that deserve a home, they would be great heating my den while I listen to some Lake Street Dive (thanks Grainger!!!).
I think I can make a good 2A3 amp for headphones if I can limit the hum.

Alonzo

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 07:24:58 PM
Yeah, DC heating 2A3's is quite complicated. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline roscoe primrose

• Do I smell smoke?
    • DCAududioDIY
Reply #4 on: July 20, 2014, 05:03:47 AM
Yeah, DC heating 2A3's is quite complicated.
Can't be any harder than DC heating 845s or 813s, I've been doing that for years...

Roscoe

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #5 on: July 20, 2014, 08:12:29 AM
I would argue that the 845 is a lot easier.  You need 10V at 3.25A, which you could get to with a 12V winding and an inefficient rectifier.

When you go for 2.5V at 2.5A, the desired winding voltage for an unregulated supply becomes pretty problematic, as low voltage simulations are notoriously inaccurate.  So, perhaps regulation is in order.  You can try something like the TI LP3876ET-2.5, but you'll be flirting with the balance between dropout voltage and excessive package dissipation (could go up to 6-7 watts with reasonable fudge factor built in, that requires a very large heatsink). 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline Alonzo

Reply #6 on: July 30, 2014, 04:55:56 PM
I've tried three different (slightly) 2A3 amps, each sounds great but I could hear hum with my HD 650's.  Once the TL404's arrive I'm going to try them out in a modified Crack, then in a Smash, and finally in a Mainline.  I have a Crack I can experiment on, I need a Smash anyway and if the experiments fail then I can move up to the Mainline and give away my bedroom Crack.  So for now I give up, I'll leave the amp design to the professionals!  I didn't try DC heaters, maybe that was the route I should've taken.

Alonzo

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #7 on: July 30, 2014, 05:43:43 PM
Don't give up, look at what you learned. Managing hum in a Directly Heated Triode, is a challenge. With Headphones and high efficiency speakers, more so. Have a whack at the DC supply...John         

John S.

Offline Alonzo

Reply #8 on: August 16, 2014, 06:20:46 PM
TL-404's have arrived, got started on the demo today.  First test bed is in a 2A3 amp, challenges are mostly controlling hum.  The size of the Opts are about the same size as the BH-5's that are coming out.  Can't post pictures, I'll have to get them on a host site until the BH forum updates are finished.

Alonzo