Cleaning tube pins

Natural Sound · 2736

Offline Natural Sound

on: October 26, 2014, 08:44:56 AM
I recently picked up a sleeve of NOS Telefunken ECC 81's (12AT7). The boxes, tubes and the original sleeve is is great condition. However the pins are slightly corroded. I suspect that they might have been exposed to a little moisture in the last 50 years. Its not very bad but I'd like to clean them up a bit before plugging them into any of my gear. I'm thinking about a little squirt of DeOxit followed by a light brushing with an old toothbrush. Does this sound OK or is there a better method?

Offline johnsonad

Reply #1 on: October 26, 2014, 09:13:01 AM
I use a brass brush or even better, steel wool. It makes fast work of pins. Then coat with Craig's.

Aaron Johnson

4krow

Reply #2 on: October 26, 2014, 12:08:30 PM
 This is a related type subject, so I will post it here. There are times that I need to clean an RCA jack. I know that the old pipe cleaners used to work if you can find thick enough ones. I am looking for another way of doing it. What do you guys use?

Offline Grainger49

Reply #3 on: October 26, 2014, 12:22:22 PM
There is a Caig's kit that has female/male RCA plugs.  It is a fibrous material and you spray cleaner on it and then clean male/female RCA devices.  I think MCM electronics sells it.  The name is something like "analog survival kit."
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 05:41:14 AM by Grainger49 »

4krow

Reply #4 on: October 26, 2014, 12:34:30 PM
Yup, I think that I remember that name from awhile ago, but didn't look into it at the time. I'll give it a try.

Thanks G

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #5 on: October 26, 2014, 12:47:30 PM
Who's Craig?

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #6 on: October 26, 2014, 02:05:26 PM

Paul Joppa

Offline fullheadofnothing

• Global Moderator
  • A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man
Reply #7 on: October 27, 2014, 05:09:46 AM
Do the two Pauls want me to point every grammar mistake they make?

Post edited, this one goes after you see it.

Replacing "Caig" with "Craig" is a spelling error, not a grammatical error. It is also a factual error, like referring to GF tubes, or calling BNC connectors bananas. If the brand name DeOxit  was also used, there would be less confusion.

To get this thread back on topic, the Mr. Clean Magic eraser is quite good for cleaning tube pins. Caig DeOxit cleans oxidized metal (whether on tube pins or other connectors), and Caig Gold supposedly prevents corrosion after treatment (I have never personally verified this). The two come packed together with small cans of each. RadioShack usually has that two pack.

Joshua Harris

I Write the Manuals That Make The Whole World Sing
Kit Packer Emeritus

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #8 on: October 27, 2014, 09:17:05 AM
Be nice guys. ;)

Thanks for the tips. I would never have thought of a Magic Eraser. My wife swears by them in the kitchen. Especially the stove top.

I'm going try the Magic Eraser and some steel wool and see which one I like best. I have five tubes to clean up so I'll get a bit of practice.

Online Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #9 on: October 27, 2014, 09:32:05 AM
I agree, let's not turn a triviality into a pissing contest.
Steel wool is a little dicey because you can inadvertently leave a bit of wool that might short pins together. Be sure to inspect them really well after you buff them. An alternative that I like is cutting a Q-tip in half and chucking it up in a dremel. Use some metal polish with it and you can get the pins really shiny. Then treat them with Greg, or Keg or whatever.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline mcandmar

• Not all engineers are civil
Reply #10 on: October 29, 2014, 10:36:39 AM

M.McCandless