I'm stuck .....Crack......ideas? (solved)

Mucker · 2343

Offline Mucker

on: February 15, 2015, 03:49:39 PM
I finally found the time to build my Crack. I was having so much fun, I built it in one long day. But, I am having an issue.

The resistance checks were all good, so I moved onto voltages but I have a problem.

The stock 6080 was DOA but luckily I had a couple others from my WA2 that worked. (Confirmed the dead stock tube in the WA2. It had a white top instead of silver so I guessed it was bad before even trying.)

When I put working tubes in and fire it up, the small tube glows fine and the LED's are working. However, the two working 6080's from the WA2 don't glow in the Crack.

I have quadruple checked wiring and re-soldered nearly everything @ 700F ...... even melted my on/off switch but it is still barely working.

I am stuck and don't know where to go at this point. I am a rookie supreme!

It has been alot of fun so far (with a bit of hair pulling), I am ready for the reward :)

Any and all ideas are welcome. Thanks,

Greg
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 05:22:14 PM by Mucker »

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: February 15, 2015, 05:05:15 PM
You should probably post some photos so we an have a look at the wiring, particularly around the 6080 socket.  Is the slot in the center hole of the 6080 socket oriented the same as the pictures in the manual?

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Mucker

Reply #2 on: February 15, 2015, 05:21:42 PM
Eureka! and thank you so much Doc B!

My slot was facing to the side. Time to straighten my mess out.

Brilliant kit Doc, this has been a great experience! I pass through Seattle every two weeks, would sure like to visit sometime.

Thanks again!

Greg

Offline Mucker

Reply #3 on: February 15, 2015, 11:48:19 PM
All is very well here.....thanks a ton Doc!

Re-orienting 8 pin socket..........check
Resistance ................. check
Voltage ............. check

6N13S Power tube and Mullard CV4003 input tube (for now).

Driving Beyer T90 at the moment.......T1 and HD800 later. ......... very impressive right out of the gate to say the least.

I have collected a pile of vinyl over the past 6 months and have some great source gear so the Crack will be fed well.

Speedball is next on the agenda.

Right now it's RUSH Fly by Night......new reissue DMM vinyl and some brews ....... life is better now! Thanks for providing such a great experience!

Offline Grainger49

Reply #4 on: February 16, 2015, 12:28:06 AM
Mucker,

I know you found the problem but here is the troubleshooting logic.  If the small tube lights and the 6080 doesn't then you look at the heater wiring of the 6080.  Counting the tube pins clockwise from the gap shows you where everything got soldered.

The power switch feeds the primary of the transformer.  So if one tube is heating you check for the high voltage on it and that verifies the power supply. 

BTW, you are not the first, nor will you be the last, to turn the power switch into a Salvador Dali painting.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 06:26:36 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline Mucker

Reply #5 on: February 16, 2015, 01:02:51 AM
Thanks for that added info Grainger. Appreciated!

It didn't completely melt but the internals went from that nice snap (no not the Ray Finkle laces out type) to a mushy Rosie O's !@#$%$.......it still barely works though, good enough until I get a replacement.......
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 01:05:13 AM by Mucker »

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #6 on: February 16, 2015, 05:23:09 AM
Greg, you are most welcome to visit. Just give us a head's up a day of two in advance and we will have the listening room ready.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Mucker

Reply #7 on: February 16, 2015, 10:14:47 AM
Wow, that's great Doc, thank you much. Probably won't be soon, pretty busy schedule, but I'll definitely give you a heads up. Do you ever have public get togethers in your shop?........... Also, I hear you have a brewery nearby???  ;D
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 10:22:26 AM by Mucker »

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #8 on: February 16, 2015, 12:16:21 PM
We occasionally have get-togethers. Things have been so busy the last few months that we have not done one in a while - probably time to plan another. Generally I hear afterwards that visitors wish they could have spent more time with a particular item of interest so, aside from the social aspect, a private session is often more fruitful.

There is a brewery but it's not that nearby. Their front door is at least 25 feet from ours, if not a bit more. You have to walk all the way past the winery to get to it. And the distillery is at least 100 feet away in a whole 'nother building.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Mucker

Reply #9 on: February 16, 2015, 04:51:51 PM
Grueling.............................Doc have you ever thought about one of these to connect your businesses?

Offline Grainger49

Reply #10 on: February 17, 2015, 10:49:48 AM
    .  .  .   There is a brewery    .  .  .   Their front door is at least 25 feet from ours  .  .  .  You have to walk all the way past the winery to get to it. And the distillery is at least 100 feet away in a whole 'nother building.

I'm not sure I could work in this "Hostle" work environment.