Weird noise from newly assembled

ibemorsi · 1657

Offline ibemorsi

on: February 12, 2015, 03:48:41 PM
Hey, so I'm noticing a weird noise coming from my crack and I'm not sure it's normal. (probably isn't haha) So all the voltage and resistance check out. There is a concern on of the resistance (I think between...12 and 13). The instructions said the resistance will climb to 270kOhm but really, it climbs DOWN to 270kOhm ha.

But anyways, the sound comes after....30 seconds. I hook up on the power cable, turn it on, wait 30 seconds, then it starts to sound like an old computer running. Occasionally I'll hear sliighhttt tingling (probably from the copper heating up and expanding?)  It's a slight noise I can hear in a quiet room so I'm concerned. Music sounds pretty good, but at low volume, I can hear the old computer noise faintly. I use a music streamer II and HD650 but that shouldn't make a difference because I can hear the computer noise when nothing but power is hooked up. I also re-soldered all my connections. I'd rather diagnose this before installing the speedball and having to troubleshoot more..Any ideas? Anything is appreciated and thank you :) :P

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: February 12, 2015, 04:11:03 PM
What does an old computer sound like?

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline ibemorsi

Reply #2 on: February 12, 2015, 04:58:32 PM
hmmm... at the 40 second mark. It's a much fainter sound similar to this. I'll try to hook up a microphone tomorrow

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #3 on: February 12, 2015, 05:21:00 PM
Are you talking about the hard disk reading sound? That kind of noise would be generated by something outside the Crack (like, say, a computer hard disk), and typically picked up through the power or interconnect cables. Try turning your computer off and see if the noise goes away. If it does you are probably picking up noise thru the power cord, and you might want to try a different power socket.

The video makes me think back to the 40MB Rodime on my old 286. Man, that thing was the Cadillac of hard drives. I remember a few years earlier lamenting that a 5MB drive for my Amiga was $1500 new and out of my reach at the time.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline ibemorsi

Reply #4 on: February 13, 2015, 04:43:46 AM
Kk I'll try bringing it home and trying it. I work in a high power facility so maybe it's too much juice or something? We'll see! It might be because several computers are hooked up through the same socket but I'll see. It's sounds like a hard drive from an old computer paired with a high pitch squeal. Maybe it will work if I don't use the cubical outlets but a wall socket? Sounds like a lunch time experiment haha

5MB for $1500 haha. And for basic functions too :p

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #5 on: February 13, 2015, 07:45:00 AM
You can also try setting your cell phone to airplane mode to see if the noise goes away.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline ibemorsi

Reply #6 on: February 15, 2015, 03:32:59 PM
So I brought it home where it's super quiet. It sounds more like a slight high pitch eeeeee. I notice a bit of static when I listen to spotify premium and flac files. I reflowed all the joints but now I'll remove all the solder and re attach joints just to make sure the wire tips are all folded around the terminals. right now there is a decent amount of solder on each joint but i can't see if the wire ends are all connected. I'll probably buy a couple extra tubes too just to make sure the tubes are good and to have extras  ;D.

I tried the airplane mode and nothing changed. I even turned it off. It's interesting because I said what the heck and installed the speedball upgrade. I didn't have a problem with that and all the LEDs lit up. All the voltages checked out (within 5-10%) and its audible, but I hear that high pitch noise and that slight background static. And I doubt it's the quality of the file. At least I hope not...

Could it be a grounding issue? I know it's soldered correctly but maybe ground it to the foundation of my house  ;D

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #7 on: February 16, 2015, 06:54:26 AM
Before you go digging around in the amp, try playing tracks off your cell phone.  From what you describe, this is noise from your computer.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man