Hiss [solved]

proud indian · 1533

Offline proud indian

on: May 24, 2015, 06:23:52 PM
Hi,

There was this hissing/surfing sound from the right channel. If I shut the amp off, then there would be a thud from the channel. There after  on powering it up, it would play normally. I changed the tubes but the problem was still there, This morning, there was a pop sound and the channel went dead. Any suggestions before I open it up.

Regards,

shreekant
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 06:09:46 AM by Caucasian Blackplate »

system 1. oppo, quickie,SEX 2.1 ( V cap), Decware DFR8 in ZOB cabs
System 2. Tascam cd200, Terra Dac,Zbox,Decware Zen amp(V cap) Lowther PM6A in Acousta horns.
Maple rack, Brass footers,Power conditioner, dedicated treated room, iso pads, plenty of tubes. All cables DIY.

Offline proud indian

Reply #1 on: May 25, 2015, 02:32:01 AM
Solved. Dry solder c4s.

Shreekant :)

System 2. Tascam cd200, Terra Dac,Zbox,Decware Zen amp(V cap) Lowther PM6A in Acousta horns.
Maple rack, Brass footers,Power conditioner, dedicated treated room, iso pads, plenty of tubes. All cables DIY.

Offline proud indian

Reply #2 on: June 15, 2015, 05:29:21 AM
Well.....last night there was a popping sound and the hissing started in the same channel.  So I shut the amp. There was a popping sound again.  I waited till the tubes ran out of steam and started it again. Worked perfectly.

This is how it behaved earlier before the right channel died. Since it is a C4S problem,  something seems to be triggering it.it. Any  suggestions ?

Thanks

Shreekant

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: June 15, 2015, 07:03:34 AM
You may just have a few more solder joints that would appreciate being reheated.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man