Right channel suddenly went out - no sound

Jhya · 1143

Offline Jhya

on: June 16, 2015, 10:24:20 AM
I finished building the crack w/ speedball upgrade last weekend. The sound is fanstistic and I have been enjoying the Crack for the past week.
However, today when I turned on the unit and plugged in my headphone, the right side sound is cut out after I insert the my headphone jack.
I turned over the crack, and I see one side of the LEDs on the speedball mainboard does not light up anymore. I checked all my solder joints and nothing is loose.
Did one of the components go bad in the right channel path?

« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 10:46:05 AM by Jhya »

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: June 16, 2015, 11:14:28 AM
You have a bad solder joint somewhere. If you dig a little here you will find quite a few threads suggesting to wiggle the wires while the amp is running to locate the loose connection.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: June 16, 2015, 11:15:19 AM
Posting your voltages will give us a starting point to diagnose what's going on with your amplifier.

I see a long capacitor lead sticking out of terminal 10, if you have any leads like that, cut them off.  If they touch things they aren't supposed to, you may damage the amplifier.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Jhya

Reply #3 on: June 16, 2015, 02:09:02 PM
You have a bad solder joint somewhere. If you dig a little here you will find quite a few threads suggesting to wiggle the wires while the amp is running to locate the loose connection.

OMG, you are right!!! It turns out the wire connecting to L7 came loose! It snapped off when I was wiggling the wires around the speedball board. Now all is back to its fantastic normal operation! Thank you!

Offline Jhya

Reply #4 on: June 16, 2015, 02:14:33 PM
Posting your voltages will give us a starting point to diagnose what's going on with your amplifier.

I see a long capacitor lead sticking out of terminal 10, if you have any leads like that, cut them off.  If they touch things they aren't supposed to, you may damage the amplifier.

I just cut them off while I was troubleshooting the back of the board. Thank you!