Popping sound ???

adydula · 1276

Offline adydula

on: September 04, 2015, 10:18:25 AM
Well I went away for a 8 day vacation and came back and just powered up the crack and while windows was booting up I kept hearing a loud poping sound from my Beyer T90's, OMG I thought I blew out a driver!

Well the pop was intermittent, 20 seconds --- a minute and "pop"...not a good sound. I opened up the windows 10 playback settings to see what dac was setup and tried the test function and only got the test toen in one earphone.

I slightly wiggled the 5963 tube and it made the pop sound immediately and was able to slightly wiggle the tube in the socket and create the pop!

I tried a different tube...same pop...so it had to me a mechanical tube socket thing OR a bad joint..

Flipped it over and saw when I wiggled the tube slightly one of the Led diodes went from glowing to off....hmmmm
also the corresponding speedball board leds went out as well....

All joints on the 9 pin socket looked just fine under a magnifying glass....and the unit has played flawlessly for a few weeks now???

Well I resoldered pin 8 on the socket and its solid and no pops!!

So whats this tell you???

I aint as good of a solder'r that I thought I was...

This was a strange one to me. the fact it worked for weeks and after being off for a week + this Bad joint shows up!!

Oh well.....glad this one was easy!

Alex

Offline adydula

Reply #1 on: September 05, 2015, 05:10:49 AM
Day 2 and the popping is still gone!!!
Yeah!

Alex