Putting the speed in Speedball.

handrewmoore · 1158

Offline handrewmoore

on: August 30, 2015, 07:45:24 AM
OK, I really just painted go-fast stripes on my new build. I got it wired up last night and everything sounds good so far. I'm going to start working on the speedball today and maybe the wood base, the base pictured is from my first Crack build. I have a stepped attenuator on this build and I noticed that the volume doesn't track the same as my stock build, even with the same source and tubes. On the stock Crack, I usually only listen at about 25% to 30% max, with the stepped attenuator, I have to push it to 50% or more depending on the track. For those using a stepped Attenuator, is this normal?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 07:49:05 AM by handrewmoore »

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 07:53:05 AM
On the stock Crack, I usually only listen at about 25% to 30% max, with the stepped attenuator, I have to push it to 50% or more depending on the track. For those using a stepped Attenuator, is this normal?

This is likely the designer of the attenuator favoring more small steps and maybe a few larger ones at the end (probably customer feedback).  I wouldn't consider this a problem at all.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline handrewmoore

Reply #2 on: August 30, 2015, 08:12:29 PM
This is likely the designer of the attenuator favoring more small steps and maybe a few larger ones at the end (probably customer feedback).  I wouldn't consider this a problem at all.

I do actually prefer the extra room in the volume. I have noticed some static only when turning the  volume knob, it's non existent otherwise. Would this be something within the pot or perhaps a soldering joint?  In my old receivers a little deoxit cures this.

I got the speedball installed and it sounds great. I'll get to do some back to back comparisons to the stock crack later this week.