Solving the hum [Resolved]

Demoninja · 988

Offline Demoninja

on: August 22, 2015, 10:28:52 PM
 After solving the silly MJE-350 issue I'm going to try to tackle the hum that's coming through my amp now. Here's all the information and everything I've done so far, please let me know if I missed anything that I should attempt.

The problem: Whenever I turn my BHC on I hear a constant hum. It is loud enough that it disturbs me when listening to music. Prior to installing the Speedball upgrade there was a very very minor hum that I did not notice at all once the music was playing. It also exists regardless of whether inputs are connected or not. I'm not sure if this is significant but I do not hear a hum when only one of the tubes are plugged in. It does not matter if it's the output or the input tube, if there's only one there's no noise.  The noise is the same volume even if I turn the volume knob up. I hear the noise with every headphone I've tried. I have not tried swapping out the tubes yet because I do not own any extras.

I will list what I have tried below:

1. Moving the amp. I plugged the amp into multiple outlets all across my home. I believe it's safe to assume that the cause is not outside interference because the hum is the same no matter which outlet I plug it into, what's near the amp or anything like that.
2. Reflowing joints. I've reflowed every single soldering joint that I can reach multiple times but the hum has always been consistent throughout.

What I plan on trying when I can:

1. Swapping tubes
2. Shorting plugs

Please let me know if you have any insights based on what I've provided or if you have any questions that can help you help me. Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 07:53:04 AM by Demoninja »

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: August 23, 2015, 06:31:09 AM
Resolder all the 220uF power supply caps.  If one is loose, your voltages would appear to be OK, and the amplifier would work, but it would be noisy.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Demoninja

Reply #2 on: August 31, 2015, 11:29:15 PM
Sorry for the late reply! Been super busy with work and school. Caucasian Blackplate, thanks a lot for the suggestion on resoldering that. For some reason it didn't solve the problem the first time but it worked the second time around! I got really sad for a second cause I heard a buzz then I realized it was coming through from my PC but that's going to be an easy fix. Thanks again for all your help everyone! Time to decide on a DAC and roll some tubes. Actually before that I should just enjoy some music.