Crack with 100VAC? (japan)

dramaticceramic · 1675

Offline dramaticceramic

on: September 13, 2015, 07:08:08 AM
Crack Kit: There are options for 120VAC and 240VAC mains power input. What are the options for powering it with 100VAC/50Hz power sockets? My guesses are:

• Just plug it on the wall. Shouldn't be much of a problem, according to this post [nofollow]. Maybe not optimal.
  • Get a wall transformer. Straightforward, but not that elegant.
  • Elegant solution? Maybe replace the power transformer on the kit. Is this right/possible? If so, what should I look for?

Background: I live in Japan and am considering buying a crack+speedball! Hope to have a neat elegant solution to just plug it on the wall without a chunky transformer. Thank you guys!

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: September 13, 2015, 07:13:16 AM
Just plug it on the wall
This will work.
Get a wall transformer.
This will work better.
Maybe replace the power transformer on the kit. Is this right/possible?
This would be the most elegant solution, but there is no compatible power transformer on the market.  We could have a single custom wound, but it would be many times more expensive than either doing nothing, or just using a 100:120 step-up.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline dramaticceramic

Reply #2 on: September 13, 2015, 07:24:28 AM
Thank you for the answer!

It is a pity some parts-hunting can't help, but well, wall adapter seems to be the reasonable choice then!

Offline Rocketman248

Reply #3 on: September 13, 2015, 05:43:47 PM
I live in Japan, and I've got 4 different Bottlehead amps.  I just plug them straight in, and I haven't had any issues.

Nick DeBrita
Yokosuka, Japan

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #4 on: September 14, 2015, 06:29:48 AM
I can't believe I missed the obvious answer here...

The Crack-a-two-a has a universal power transformer, and there are wiring instructions for lower mains voltages.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man