6 M-ohms on resistance check? [resolved]

sailingstu05 · 1129

Offline sailingstu05

on: December 21, 2015, 05:35:36 PM
The resistances that are listed as an * in the instructions are coming back as ~6 M-ohms. Another poster had ~36k for 1 and 5, and 7.5k for 2 and 4, so mine seem way too high. Also, location 13, which is supposed to charge up to 270k just stays at 6 M-ohms as well.

Any thoughts on where I should start troubleshooting?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 07:34:07 AM by Caucasian Blackplate »

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: December 22, 2015, 04:54:53 AM
We put an asterisk on these values because they can be all over the place. If it was supposed to be some particular value we would list that value. As long as it isn't 0 you can move forward. Pretty sure all of that is covered in the manual, as copied below.

The values signified with a * are going to vary from ohmmeter to ohmmeter because these terminals are connected to the filter capacitors, which try to charge themselves off the battery in the meter, causing a fluctuating reading. If the circuit is connected properly these readings will wander in the tens or hundreds of Kohms or higher range. What you want to watch out for is a zero reading at one of these terminals, which would indicate that something is mis-wired.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline sailingstu05

Reply #2 on: December 23, 2015, 10:20:18 AM
Yes, when I went back and read the manual I felt more confident (and by that time the capacitors had dropped charge and the resistances were lower as well). Everything works and sounds great!