I have some questions on upgrading the crack beyond speedball :)

dusk · 5445

Offline Grainger49

Yes, it is 100k Ohms and log taper.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
I have a couple of Valab attenuators that I've had for many years, and though they still work, the switches themselves have corroded pretty badly. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline denti alligator

PB, which would you recommend that might not corrode as badly?

- Sam

Rega P3-24 (w/AT 150MLX) w/Groovetracer upgrades / Eros II / FLAC >J.River >DSD256 >Gustard X20 / Moreplay > Stereomour II / Klipsch Forte II w/Crites upgrades / C4S S.E.X. 2.0 +Nickel MQ Iron / Speedball Crack / Sennheiser HD600 w/Cardas cable

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
PB, which would you recommend that might not corrode as badly?
I can't really commend beyond that, as I haven't owned many others for as long.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline borism

I just want to say that i have put in Goldpoint attenuators in both my Stereomour and Crack and they have performed great. They are mechanically very satisfying (someone mentioned the smooth click-click type of action) and there is no negative issue with sound that I noticed. However, I have certainly not compared them side by side with the ladder style Valab, etc.

Boris

Offline dusk

I just want to say that i have put in Goldpoint attenuators in both my Stereomour and Crack and they have performed great. They are mechanically very satisfying (someone mentioned the smooth click-click type of action) and there is no negative issue with sound that I noticed. However, I have certainly not compared them side by side with the ladder style Valab, etc.

PB was saying earlier to be careful of those pots because they could dull the sound? 
check out post #6:
http://bottlehead.com/smf/index.php?topic=8251.0

which goldpoint did you get, specifically, borism?

and thanks!

Offline borism

I read the post. That's why I responded to say that my experience was different. I have the standard V24 attenuators. As always, individual expectations, system synergy etc. are to be considered.

Boris

Online Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
...  As always, individual expectations, system synergy etc. are to be considered.
Hear, hear!

Paul Joppa

Offline minodev

Reply #23 on: November 01, 2015, 06:26:00 AM
Do stepped attenuators have detents at the steps? i.e. do they "click" into each set of resistors? or do they turn smoothly like regular pots?

I'm particularly interested in the VALabs 23 step logarithmic 100K, but I imagine they all operate in a pretty similar fashion. Thanks in advance.

Offline dusk

Reply #24 on: November 01, 2015, 07:14:38 AM
Do stepped attenuators have detents at the steps? i.e. do they "click" into each set of resistors? or do they turn smoothly like regular pots?

I'm particularly interested in the VALabs 23 step logarithmic 100K, but I imagine they all operate in a pretty similar fashion. Thanks in advance.

I ended up grabbing one off ebay (dale stepped attenuator) - and it most certainly clicks at every step.. loudly and with tactile feedback.  I kinda dig it.