which 300b

Flyin_V · 3745

Offline Flyin_V

on: June 29, 2015, 11:24:32 AM
Hi everyone,
I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a BeePre and would like to upgrade the tubes.
Are the Shuguang Treasure 300b-z about the best in the price range ($350)?
The Genalex Gold Lion PX 300b any better/worse at a lower price?
I'd like a full sound, detailed, but not overly analytical.
All suggestions welcomed.
Thanks!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 08:28:34 PM by Flyin_V »

Offline Donzi

Reply #1 on: January 04, 2016, 08:54:32 AM
If anyone still sees this, what tubes come with the BeePre as the "included" 300B tubes? Not the Shuguang treasure 300B-Z that you write about?

Offline fullheadofnothing

• Global Moderator
  • A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man
Reply #2 on: January 04, 2016, 09:37:34 AM
Electro Harmonix.

Joshua Harris

I Write the Manuals That Make The Whole World Sing
Kit Packer Emeritus

Offline Analogluvr

Reply #3 on: April 10, 2016, 03:18:05 AM
The shuguang black treasure is great bang for the buck. It is a warmer darker presentation. If u want neutral the jj is a good bet. The eh it comes with does sound good in this app.  Stay away from Sophia. They had a very sweet midrange and top end but didn't have good bass. They also are junk and blow up regularly.  The kit is mind blowingly good for the $$. With mundorf silver in oil caps, upgraded tubes, attenuator upgrade and some attention paid to isolation I've not heard better at any price. And I have heard a lot!

Offline kip.duff

Reply #4 on: May 17, 2016, 08:00:38 AM
Analogluv...

I'm thinking of getting BeePre- deadline to buy with "no tubes included" option is end of month.  Doc seems real happy with EH's- but I was thinking TJ or Psvane TII.  Any advice?  I don' really understand how a power tube is used in a pre- but apparently sounds great.  I have Paramount 1.1 amps with Psvane 300B's.  May put the Psvanes in the pre and convert the power amps to 2A3 when I get my effecient speakers.  Thanks, Kip.............

Dr. Feickert Blackbird II w Reed 2A tonearm and Lyra Skala cartridge.  Eros 2.  Audio Note DAC 2.1 Signature.  BeePre with BeeQuiet and Paramount 1.1 monoblocs into A7 VOTTs or Nagoaka folded horns.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #5 on: May 17, 2016, 08:34:14 AM
Make absolutely certain that the tube will actually operate like a WE300B, with 100 Volts on the plate. I just spent time with a BeePre that had Sophias in it. It was sent in because it had very low output and terrible distortion. Turned out it was simply the Sophias were running at 135V and about 0V bias instead of 100Vp and 5Vk. With EHs the preamp ran perfectly.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline kip.duff

Reply #6 on: May 18, 2016, 06:18:52 AM
Thanks Doc.  We can see why you made the decision to include the EH with the kits. 

Though I may be complicating things for myself and and you by considering options other than EH, it's natural and understandable that we consider tubes that might be better.  At least in the case of a power amp, consensus seems to be that Psvane TII or JT Mesh 300B's are worth paying the extra.  Forum member Analogluv sounds like he's had great results with a tube other than EH in his BeePre- not sure.  Hopefully, he'll get back to me with his opinion and experience- and how voltage issue played out.  I'll look for input from other BeePre owners also who are using non-stock tubes. 

Dr. Feickert Blackbird II w Reed 2A tonearm and Lyra Skala cartridge.  Eros 2.  Audio Note DAC 2.1 Signature.  BeePre with BeeQuiet and Paramount 1.1 monoblocs into A7 VOTTs or Nagoaka folded horns.

Offline Jeroen

Reply #7 on: June 27, 2016, 06:33:36 PM
Hi Kip,

I used JJ tubes and Gold Lion . The JJ's made a huge improvent in my system, but one of the tube unfortunately broke. The glass of the JJ tubes is thick and I had the impression that microphonics where less then with the stock tubes. The choise of tubes depents on your system and room acoustic. I tried Full music tubes, but that didn't work.
My advice would be the JJ tubes and spent the rest of your budget on some nice coupling capacitors. Playing with 1uF Jupiter capacitiors now, they sound great!
Good luck with your choise,

Jeroen

Offline Sugar Man

• The Last Honest Lawyer
Reply #8 on: June 28, 2016, 10:24:31 AM
Playing with 1uF Jupiter capacitiors now, they sound great!

I just put some Jupiter's into my Stereomour II and love them.  Now living on Top Ramen, but worth it.  8)

Mike "Stein" Ayotte

Current Gear:

Elekit TU-8600 300B w/Lundahl Trannies
Herron Audio VTPH-2a
Rega RP8 w/ Apheta 2
Bluesound Node 2i
Audio Note E Speaker Kit-04 w/ AlNiCo drivers

Stereomour II w/ Jupiters
Eros w/ Mundorf Silver Oils
Blumenstein Orcas & Subs

Offline johnsonad

Reply #9 on: June 28, 2016, 01:12:52 PM
There are plenty of threads on this topic. Read though them when you get a chance. Both Xavier and I have posted extensively on the topic in the past to name two of them.

There is no perfect tube but you will find one that works well for your system. Good luck!

Aaron Johnson

Offline kip.duff

Reply #10 on: June 28, 2016, 02:39:58 PM
There are plenty of threads on this topic. Read though them when you get a chance. Both Xavier and I have posted extensively on the topic in the past to name two of them.

There is no perfect tube but you will find one that works well for your system. Good luck!

Where can I find these threads?  Thanks in advance.........

Offline johnsonad

Reply #11 on: June 28, 2016, 03:07:33 PM
In the BeePre forum. Just start reading some of the earlier posts. There aren't many and there is a lot of experience in them. I try to read through the forum posts before asking questions especially on common topics like tube choices.

Aaron Johnson

Offline kip.duff

Reply #12 on: June 28, 2016, 09:40:11 PM
Yes.  I had not thoroughly checked out the BeePre forum, and I am now checking out the posts.  I'm getting a feeling that a good 300B choice for Paramounts is not relevant for BeePre.  Thanks, Kip..............