VALVE revival meeting at Bottleheadquarters - RESCHEDULED to Nov. 5

Doc B. · 3687

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
I'm planning to carpool with Ed and Richard.

Paul Joppa

Offline electrovice

I am planning on being there. Looking forward to it.

John

Offline pjnestor

I am also planning on coming

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Awesome! We know of at least 15 who plan to come, so this should be fun. John Rutter managed to get kit speaker #2 prototype to us yesterday. I got it finished up last night. It sounded pretty green compared the the first prototype, and Josh left it running all night (Maggot Brain, on repeat, in honor of the wine maker next door who leaves crushed grape skins fermenting and crawling with flies outside our door each October) to get some break in time on it. With the newness rubbed off the sound I think we are going to have a winner. Images like gangbusters and sounds quite dynamic.

We'll see all y'all around 1.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #19 on: November 06, 2016, 05:52:05 AM
We counted a total of 20 peeps at the meet yesterday. I had a really nice time! Great to see newer faces as well as a lot of the old crew. And the projects were most impressive. I had a pair of the new speakers running after finishing the second one at 6pm the night before (thanks, JR, for getting that cabinet to us in such a timely fashion!). Josh set the system up to run them in overnight so we didn't have to suffer through the first few hours of speaker break in on the new right channel box and wiring. By morning they had settled in pretty well.

We started with a Kaiju running the speakers. No problem running nice and loud in our 19' x 25' x 14' room. Bass is quite adequate. The horns are a bit directional. So they throw a great image when you sit on the centerline between them, and as you sit more off axis the image is a little more diffuse. Not a bad thing in the typical living room that tends to be a bit on the bright and reflective side. The tonal balance holds up nicely and they sound good from a variety of listening positions. It's hard to objectively judge a project you have been immersed in for several weeks. Your point of reference gets muddled. So I was delighted to hear a few folks say they planned to order a pair after hearing them.

Next up was Mike's recently completed Stereomour II, sporting all Psvane tubes. Mike did a gorgeous build and the amp was dead quiet with that lovely neutral, natural 2A3 sound. The 3.5 watts was plenty of power for the speakers. We did have to boost the signal coming out of his portable player a bit to get enough drive for the amp. I added a Quickie in the chain, effectively giving him a tube output from his source. Sounded pretty darned good!

Next I switched in the new S.E.X. amp, which uses the 6FJ7 tube. Sounded very nice though perhaps not my first choice for running the new speakers in that big room, as the amp would clip a bit in the bass region when trying to crank up the tunes to max output. At more modest levels it sounded very good. And dead quiet. This amp is much more quiet than the previous iteration of S.E.X. and I hope it will be considered a nice step forward in the evolution of our very first product.

Next up was Aaron's big, beautiful insanely wild headphone amp. He worked this one out with PJ and PB to create an amp that could run both dynamic and electrostatic headphones. It uses a choice of 6SN7, 6J5 or 2C22 driver tubes and 71A output tubes, which run into MQ TL-404 autoformers for the dynamic cans. Aaron brought his STAX cans and Jim had some HD800s handy, so we got to hear both. They were each different and both delightful, particularly listening to some amazing recordings of Cuban music that Jim has made recently that will be coming out on HDtracks soon.

Following that was a really pretty pair pair of hunky monoblocks that PB had cooked up, using a 6550 cathode follower to drive a - hmm, was that an 811A? - in deep class A2 for about 15 watts. Very punchy drive, great amps for rocking out.

The final amp of the day was a monster. PJ and Ed had collaborated on taking a stab at a high power amp that might become a future Bottlehead product. There have been attempts at this in the past, but none were giving us what we hoped to hear.

Well that was not the case yesterday. The monster monoblock, which uses 2X4s for the wood base and weighs 70 lbs., runs four 6550s in parallel single ended configuration, driven by an el84. Output is about 50 watts. Feedback is minimal and just around the output stage, similar to the Seductor amp. Ed's build was lovely as usual and the amp was affectionately labeled Big Betty. Even with just one amp running both speakers in mono the sound made me sit up and take notice. The bass is amazing. Ed says the amp measured super linear right up to 50 watts, and with the 93dB sensitive speakers there was not even a remote sign of stress in the bass when the amp was cranked. The top end was nice from the get-go, though right at first I thought the upper midrange was a little veiled. That really surprised me as I was expecting a kind of unrefined sound, but it was more a sin of omission. Which then became a moot point as the amp warmed up and the midrange opened up quite nicely. It's good enough that when I was asked whether it was worth building the second channel I said yes, please!

I truly appreciate the effort everyone made to make the meet and to bring such well developed projects. Josh took a few pics and maybe he will post some here. You guys set a very high bar for future meets! We had a very brief discussion about future meets as some of the guys were headed out. The consensus was monthly might be a bit too often for everyone to try to have something new and different to hear. We're tossing around the notion of meeting every other month or perhaps quarterly. I'd be interested to hear what you guys think about that.

And that is not to say that there won't be other things going on here at BHQ on the odd months. When I got home last night I had a message from Jacqui Naylor asking if we might be able to host a show at BHQ in early December. Heck yeah! I'm hoping to be able to flesh out a 2017 show schedule with some really great up and coming local artists too.

Thanks hugely to the BH crew for helping get this meet together. The entire crew worked very hard to get things ready for the meet, with Eileen and Josh making sure we had all the stuff we needed and then cleaning and organizing all day and Kelvin hammering away at every crazy last minute solder job I was requesting. You guys are the best.

Thanks also to Shannon Parks of Parks Audio for bringing by a gigantic bag full of primo Nichicon 'lytic caps for everyone to help themselves to. Around that gang it was like throwing a bag of candy on the table! And thanks to those who brought edible goodies. The snacks were well received. You guys did a good job of consuming them and keeping me from ODing on the leftovers today.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 08:45:19 AM by Doc B. »

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline pboser

Jealous from across the country!  It's great VALVE is revived - lots of inspiration! Where can we get details of Aaron's headphone amp?

Peter Boser

Offline johnsonad

Dan, you summed the afternoon up nicely!  It sure didn’t feel like 5-6 hour and I’m looking forward to future meets. 

The new speakers needed breaking in but have potential.  They really lock in when you’re in the sweet spot and have an impressive amount of bass though the volume was much higher than I’m used to at home.  They have no problem playing loud with the Kaiju if anyone is wondering.

PB’s amps were really nice looking builds and that 811A glows beautifully! Ed’s build was a beast and I look forward to hearing them (not lifting them) as a stereo pair.  It was nice to see the SEX isn’t going anywhere and didn’t change drastically.  The highlight of the evening for me was Jim’s recordings.  Closing my eyes, I could picture sitting in a café listening to those ladies sing and could listen to them for hours. 

I was very thankful for the collective brain trust and their help on my little Heathkit project (miss step).  At a future meet they will return in corrected form.  It’s a lot of fun having that many years of audio experience (listening, designing, building) in one place. 

A big thank you to PB for trouble shooting some 120Hz noise in my headphone amp.  Another thank you to Shannon for the caps!  And a special thank you to Eileen, Josh and Kelvin for setting up the event and keeping it going.  Next time I’ll bring some food in addition to audio projects.  Maybe we could do a BBQ in the parking lot next year when the rain stops? 

Aaron Johnson

Offline fullheadofnothing

• Global Moderator
  • A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man
Three pictures from the show. I get easily distracted so only grabbed a few.

First is Dan futzing with the new SEX with Aaron's build on deck to the left.

Then PB's creation.

And finally the giant monster.

Joshua Harris

I Write the Manuals That Make The Whole World Sing
Kit Packer Emeritus

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Would love for anyone who attended to post impressions of the meet. There are a lot of folks at a distance who can't make them and would love to know how it went. I can post a recap, but that's just one opinion.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.