Help with 1927 RCA Radiola 17

Jim R. · 815

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
on: November 01, 2016, 09:19:45 AM
I see that there are about a million sites dedicated to this antique radio and if anybody has any positive, or better experiences with any of these folks, can you please let me know?

We cleaned out our storage locker this weekend and found this radio that I had forgotten about. It has a lot of sentimental value as it was a wedding present to my grandparents.

Interesting that this radio sold for about $150 -- and that's 1927 dollars! It really was the most expensive radios, and the first one ever to run on AC house current (though it may still may have been DC at the time.)

I'm mostly looking for a replacement dial and front pieces, control knobs, etc., a schematic, and an RCA 100A speaker (if I remember correctly, somebody took the one out of this radio, so a rebuild service won't work.

Thanks for any info anybody can provide.

I do realize that even fully restored, this radio isn't worth much, but the family, especially my Dad would be really glad to finally see it working again. And of course, this is also a real opportunity to do some nice wood restoration (the case is solid mahogany.)

-- Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)