Mac Mini Not Working With Bottlehead DaC

AudioDave · 2782

Offline AudioDave

on: January 13, 2017, 10:47:40 AM
Hi All,    I need some assistance.   I am trying to install a Mac Mini music server into my Bottlehead system and have been working on it for 2 days now with no luck.   I have a Mac Mini (Late 2014) running macOS Sierra 10.12.2 and just purchased Amarra.  I have the Mac Mini connected to my Bottlehead DAC via USB and the DAC connected to a BeePre and then to Parabees.  When I first boot up the Mac Mini it recognizes the DAC but when I start up Amarra the DAC is no longer there.  It seems like I can't get both the Mac Mini and Amarra to see the DAC at the same time if that makes any sense.  The only way I can get Amarra to play music is through the Mac Mini speaker. Has anyone else had this problem and if so did you get it solved?
Thanks in adavance for any help you can provide!
Dave   

Offline fullheadofnothing

• Global Moderator
  • A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man
Reply #1 on: January 13, 2017, 11:03:23 AM
Use toslink.

Joshua Harris

I Write the Manuals That Make The Whole World Sing
Kit Packer Emeritus

Offline tsingle999

• We are all here because we are not all there.
Reply #2 on: January 13, 2017, 11:38:56 AM
I have a very similar setup. It is very annoying tot ry to get the usb cable working as I am not that comfortable using macs.
I switched to a toslink cable that ingeniously enough plugs into the audio out port that you would plug headphones into on the mac. Works easily and sounds great that way!

SGS iTransporter with Qobuz & Roon to Optical Rendu to BH DAC (Battery) / Wavelegth Cosecant to BeePre to 300b(ehemoths) to Jagers.
Bottlehead Stat headphone amp with Wavelength Brick DAC

Offline AudioDave

Reply #3 on: January 13, 2017, 12:12:07 PM
I guess I am confused.  My Mac Mini does not have anywhere to plug a toslink cable into.  Just 4 USB ports

Offline fullheadofnothing

• Global Moderator
  • A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man
Reply #4 on: January 13, 2017, 12:22:18 PM
The audio port does TOSLINK and analog sound. Get a cable like the one in the picture (or a cable and a converter). Plug the mini TOSLINK end into the computer's audio port and the standard end into the DAC. Select optical output in the sound preferences and TOSLINK on the front of the DAC.

Joshua Harris

I Write the Manuals That Make The Whole World Sing
Kit Packer Emeritus

Offline AudioDave

Reply #5 on: January 13, 2017, 12:26:09 PM
Thanks!!   I will give that a try!
Dave

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #6 on: January 14, 2017, 04:56:21 AM
For what it's worth I have been using TOSLINK with the DAC in my office for the past few months. I hear no difference between it and the DAC in the listening room that is connected thru USB. And it is more stable with respect to rebooting the PC.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.