Neutral wire - inconsistent connectivity

JP · 4354

Offline JP

on: October 09, 2016, 07:49:43 PM
All,

I've got two power cords for my Paramount amps.  Built my first one - no problems at all and sounds great. 

On my second power cord, I'm getting inconsistent connectivity readings on the neutral wire only.  All of the other wires test fine, and I've confirmed that none of the wires crossover.

I went back and re-connected the neutral wire at both the right angle IEC plug and the wall plug.  No change - still getting the same test results.

When I measure resistance, both live and ground are about 0.3 ohms.  I test neutral, and it's all over the map - open loop, drops, increases, might settle around 3 ohms for a bit and then goes up and down again.  Can anyone make any sense of this?  Suggestions about other things to look at / test?

It's a little amazing that I'd see something like this on just a wire, but I guess that's why we test.

Thanks!

Offline JP

Reply #1 on: October 09, 2016, 08:11:41 PM
(Just needed to think about it for another few minutes and test some more...)

So, just tested with one probe inserted into the assembled right angle IEC plug and the other probe touching the neutral screw inside the hospital plug - that tests fine and is consistent at around 0.4 ohms.  However, when I move the second probe from the neutral screw to the neutral blade of the hospital plug, I start getting the wild readings. 

So, looks like it might be a problem with the hospital plug - will call Bottlehead tomorrow to see about a replacement part...

Offline JP

Reply #2 on: October 10, 2016, 05:30:52 PM
I did another test tonight - testing with one probe on the screw, and then another on the blade on the plug - I see the same behavior on the neutral connector only.  I also tested both the ground and live between the blade and the screw on the plug - no problems there.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #3 on: October 10, 2016, 05:39:58 PM
Yup, sounds like the plug is the problem. We have more on order and can ship one when they arrive.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline JP

Reply #4 on: October 11, 2016, 11:50:08 AM
Awesome - thanks!