After years of joy, can't get computer to recognize DAC

bernieclub · 3996

Offline bernieclub

After a routine reboot, I unplugged and replugged my DAC to reset audio, and a quick "couldn't load xmos driver" message popped up.   I rebooted several times, repluggged the power to no avail.    The device manager shows "device can not start code 10" message.    I attempted to reload the driver from the manual link, But Norton says it's not safe and deletes it!  Any ideas?
Bernie

Bernie Zitomer

Offline fullheadofnothing

• Global Moderator
  • A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man
Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 11:46:58 AM
What kind of computer?

Joshua Harris

I Write the Manuals That Make The Whole World Sing
Kit Packer Emeritus

Offline bernieclub

Reply #2 on: May 08, 2017, 12:46:22 PM
It's an older PC running Vista.    When I first got the DAC, it started right up and I've had no problems at all.

Bernie Zitomer

Offline bernieclub

Reply #3 on: May 08, 2017, 12:49:44 PM
I guess I should see if I can get it to work on another machine.    I'm reasonably sure it's not the dac.

Bernie Zitomer

Offline fullheadofnothing

• Global Moderator
  • A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man
Reply #4 on: May 08, 2017, 02:03:53 PM
Microsoft will update software without warning, so my guess is it installed something when you rebooted (assuming it's connected to the Internet).
Another machine is a good test, although if it's an update issue, it may have the same problem.
Also if your card has TOSLINK, that is less fussy.

Joshua Harris

I Write the Manuals That Make The Whole World Sing
Kit Packer Emeritus

Offline bernieclub

Reply #5 on: May 09, 2017, 03:01:21 PM
Update...fixed!    I think you are correct FHON, this started around the same time updates were taking place.    After removing everything and starting over, music is playing.   Thanks for the encouragement.
Bernie

Bernie Zitomer

Offline Deluk

Reply #6 on: May 10, 2017, 02:20:23 AM
Interesting. Microsoft stopped supporting from April 12th this year. Did you actually get their final update? There probably wasn't very much in it.

Offline bernieclub

Reply #7 on: May 10, 2017, 04:42:37 AM
I believe I did, and it wasn't much.    I don't know why it interfered with the XMOS driver.    Also, I had to allow the download through Norton, which tried to block it.     All is well now.     

Bernie Zitomer

Offline mcandmar

• Not all engineers are civil
Reply #8 on: May 10, 2017, 06:08:42 AM
Microsoft recently rolled out native USB2 Audio support for Windows 10, which on my machine decided it wanted control of the Bottlehead DAC. All i had to do was remove and reinstall the XMOS driver to sort it out. I wasn't aware of that update being rolled out to older OS's, but i guess its possible.

M.McCandless

Offline bernieclub

Reply #9 on: May 10, 2017, 07:23:51 AM
I'm probably due for a new computer within the year....is there any reason to use the XMOS driver instead of the native setup?

Bernie Zitomer