otari mx 5050 mk 111-2

[email protected] · 2637

Offline [email protected]

on: January 10, 2017, 07:25:02 AM
Hi
I am considering the mechanical upgrade and eros pre-amp however I have two questions if someone could answer them for me.

The tape on my unit runs out of center for about the first 20 ft then it runs perfect
Will the upgrade address this issue?

My unit has the separate control cabinet that has a cable with a 5 pin male plug for the reproduce heads
Can I get the eros with the female connector instead of the rca'?

Don

Don Troise

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: January 10, 2017, 08:54:26 AM
Does every tape run off center for the first 20 feet? Is this just the first 20 feet of any tape, or does the tape run off center for 20 feet on any tape if you start playing anywhere along the tape - halfway, toward the end, etc.? If it starts off center and then settles down anywhere along the tape it might be a tape guide issue, or it might be something to do with the tension arm. It could be something as simple as a guide or roller needing a good cleaning.

Since the Eros chassis panels are cut in batches they are all the same and all are set up for RCA jacks. You could probably use the stock panel that comes with the kit as a reference to design a custom panel with whatever jacks you want, and have it made by Front Panel Express. Of course the kit instructions will not be useful for wiring the altered part of the design. It might make more sense to make a 5 pin DIN to RCA adapter cable.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Reply #2 on: January 10, 2017, 10:11:31 AM
Thanks for the response Doc

It is at the beginning playback with any tape, once it settles then it tracks true, I clean the heads and guides every 8 playing hours with the laser media cleaning system, so I am  confidant that it is not a dirt problem, I was wondering if the the tension guide arm on the take up side is faulting, that is why I have been looking at your system, however if it is the tension arm then your system probably won't help as it does not change the arm (or will it help).

Don

Don Troise

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #3 on: January 10, 2017, 11:31:30 AM
Does the tape sound OK for that first 20 feet, or is the speed varying?

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Reply #4 on: January 11, 2017, 03:55:28 AM
When it is off center the right channel diminishes, if I don't wind off the 20 or so feet it will stay off center, ( it falls off center towards the bottom ) that was how I noticed it.

Don

Don Troise