Square Peg in Round hole

Alonzo · 2198

Offline Alonzo

• Not all those who wander are lost
on: August 02, 2017, 05:47:40 PM
Total rookie mistake about 30 minutes ago.  Swapped the 2A3 Mesh tubes for 2A3-40's and turned on the amp to warm up while I take the work suit off.  Came back in the room to smell something burning and saw a wisp of smoke  coming from the amp.   Shut off the amp and after a suitable amount of sailor language I unplugged it and pulled the tubes.   Hmmmmm, that tube isn't the same as the other.... Hmmmmmm, it isn't as hot as the other....hmmmmm.
Looks like I rotated the right 2A3 ninety degrees and installed it.  There's some discoloring on the A side of the board at the connections for the MJ5731 and a little around the A side LED's.
Is there anything else I should be looking at replacing while I'm under the hood?

Alonzo
Gameroom:>Mainline to HD820, SR45 to Pipette
>BeePree Kaiju & SII to Altec 19 knockoffs
Office:>BH Stat amp to Koss 95x, T20 SET to JBL 4309s
Den:> MorePlay 845 SET to Altec Valencia's

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: August 03, 2017, 07:30:22 AM
Inserting the 2A3 off 90 degrees can seriously damage the 2A3 and potentially your plate choke but shouldn't do any damage to the C4S driver board.

Before replacing anything, it's best to do a voltage check and look for issues.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Alonzo

• Not all those who wander are lost
Reply #2 on: August 06, 2017, 09:16:11 AM
Well the Dowdy chokes held up fine, same with the JJ2A3-40's.  My voltages were different from my initial build check but within 5%.  Couldn't tell if the voltage change is due to the age of the parts or from my mistake.  It's back playing and seemingly all is well.

Alonzo
Gameroom:>Mainline to HD820, SR45 to Pipette
>BeePree Kaiju & SII to Altec 19 knockoffs
Office:>BH Stat amp to Koss 95x, T20 SET to JBL 4309s
Den:> MorePlay 845 SET to Altec Valencia's