Ground hum between Eros and U-Turn Orbit?

d_composer · 3542

Offline d_composer

on: March 23, 2017, 01:42:12 PM
I just got my u-turn orbit special turntable in the mail, plugged it into my eros, and noticed that there's a bit of ground hum in my signal now. Has anyone else had this problem? Is there maybe an issue that there's nothing plugged into eros' ground post? Thanks!

Offline fullheadofnothing

• Global Moderator
  • A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man
Reply #1 on: March 24, 2017, 07:09:10 AM
Please only post once per issue. It's confusing for those trying to answer you.

1) How loud is this hum, compared to the music being played?

2) Does the hum go away when you touch the tonearm?

3) Is the hum audible when the turntable motor is off?

4) Did you previously use the Eros with another turntable?

5) Have you used this turntable with another preamp?

6) What are the components of your system?

Joshua Harris

I Write the Manuals That Make The Whole World Sing
Kit Packer Emeritus

Offline adeep42

Reply #2 on: March 24, 2017, 07:10:38 AM
Take a look at the U Turn support page. The last item is about hum.

Alan

Offline d_composer

Reply #3 on: March 24, 2017, 10:16:02 AM
Please only post once per issue. It's confusing for those trying to answer you.

Sorry about that -- thought I may have posted it in the wrong forum. Thanks for deleting the duplicate post.

1) How loud is this hum, compared to the music being played?
It's much lower than the music and barely audible while the music is playing.

2) Does the hum go away when you touch the tonearm?
No.

3) Is the hum audible when the turntable motor is off?
Yes.

4) Did you previously use the Eros with another turntable?
Yes, I previously had a Gemini TT-01 hooked up and there was no problem. This turntable had a connection for the ground post, though, which is why I suspect it's something dealing with this.

5) Have you used this turntable with another preamp?
No. Good call -- I'll try that now. <couple minutes later> Ok, tried it with some pre-amp I got at Guitar Center a while ago (WOW! What a difference in sound! This is the first time doing an A/B comparison!). There's some ground noise in there too but it wasn't as loud. I'm guessing that this rules out the unused Eros ground post as the culprit then?

6) What are the components of your system?
Orbit -> Eros -> Sony CMT-NEZ3 (don't judge! I have a Stereomour II kit en route!) -> Klipsch RP-160M speakers

Thanks again!

Offline d_composer

Reply #4 on: March 24, 2017, 10:20:20 AM
Take a look at the U Turn support page. The last item is about hum.

Alan

Thanks Alan -- I'm in touch with their support team as well. Just was wondering if anyone else on this forum had a similar issue since it seems like a popular turntable here. It took me a while to find this so in case anyone else is searching for it in the future, here it is posted below:

• Hum is typically due to something environmental (e.g. electrical interference) or set-up related (e.g. a bad connection between components).
  • Do you have any other components connected to your system or located nearby? Computers, CD and Blu-ray players, amplifiers, and components with wireless transmitters can all be sources of interfence. Try isolating your turntable from these components and their power supplies.
  • Light dimmers, fluorescent lamps, older TVs, and other appliances that share the same circuit or a common ground with your stereo can contribute to hum. Try turning these appliances off or moving your turntable further away from them.
  • Try plugging your AC adapter into another outlet (if it is plugged into a power strip, try plugging it directly into the wall). Also, try plugging your adapter in upside down.
  • If you have another pair of RCA cables available, try connecting to your turntable with these. The cables you are using may be improperly shielded or otherwise defective.
  • Check to make sure that all of the tonearm wires are correctly connected to the cartridge and that none got pulled out.
    If you are still having trouble, please shoot us an email and we will be happy to help you isolate the source of the problem and debug any excess noise. Please let us know what you have already tried and looked into. A recording of the humming/buzzing itself would also be useful!

Again, thanks everyone!

Offline d_composer

Reply #5 on: March 24, 2017, 11:00:17 AM
Update: after going through a bunch of the standard tests with u-turn support, I think this noise is actually coming from my rca cable being too near to the orbit's motor and this is causing the hum. I don't think the Eros has anything to do with it besides being so awesome that it amplifies this buzz better than my previous pre-amp!