Interference from Wifi Router

amerk84 · 1349

Offline amerk84

on: June 12, 2017, 08:17:58 AM
I noticed that my wifi router causes significant interference with my Reduction amp. I noticed this problem when I recently upgraded my wifi router from an Apple Extreme to a Netgear AC1750. I switched back to the Apple Extreme and the problem went away.

Are there particular wifi channels that are worse than others. Aside from moving my wifi router somewhere further away from my amp, is there anything else I can do to protect my Reduction circuit from interference of any kind?

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: June 16, 2017, 11:48:30 AM
Are there particular wifi channels that are worse than others. Aside from moving my wifi router somewhere further away from my amp, is there anything else I can do to protect my Reduction circuit from interference of any kind?
Distance is your friend.  If you have your wifi router plugged into your cable modem with an Ethernet cable, remember that the Ethernet cable can be pretty long without any penalties, and that moves the noise further away. 

Shielding the Reduction against the RFI will be very difficult given the very high frequencies of the wifi standards.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man