Stereomour II with DC filament upgrade suitable as headphone amp?

Jim R. · 1588

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Subject says it all... is the Stereomour the II suitable as a headphone amp when the DC filament supply is installed?

Thanks,

Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
You would really need to use it with very power hungry headphones for this to make any sense.  If you plugged in Grados, I would expect the combination to be annoyingly sensitive.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Thanks, PB.

More or less what I expected, but I had to check anyway.

Thanks much,

Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline jjvornov

I have a pair of MrSpeakers AEON Flow headphones that I use with the Mainline from time to time. I was wondering what they might sound like driven by my Stereomour II., which is my desktop amp for computer work. The Mainline can drive to them to high volume, but they seem to want a bit more power. I realized I had some female to female headphone plug adapters (used for cable extension) so I bought banana plug to RCA adapters from Amazon- so it's banana to RCA/ RCA to headphone plug/ female-female adapter/ Headphone cable stack.

The Stereomour II is a really nice headphone amp with the DC filament adapter. The 14 Ohms of the AEONs works fine from the speaker out. Nice punch and power to the headphones and the beautiful 2A3 tone comes through beautifully. Nice to have the headphone option at my desk now.