Issue with volume in left channel

jp.lichtenberg · 956

Offline jp.lichtenberg

on: September 28, 2017, 02:40:29 PM
Hey everyone,

I've had my crack + speedball kit for over 2 years now, still loving every time I power it up. Lately, I've had an issue where the left channel isn't balanced with the right channel until I crank the volume pot up all the way. Until about 2-3 o'clock (my zero value is at 6 o-clock), the left channel is much lower than the right channel. I just replaced both tubes due to some crackling and popping; I checked my voltages and resoldered, so I assumed it was my tubes. Since replacing, the crackling and popping is gone, but the volume imbalance is still present. My voltages still look good; do I just need to resolder the connections on the volume pot?

Thanks in advance for your help!

JP

Offline kgoss

Reply #1 on: September 29, 2017, 03:53:44 AM

Ken Goss

Offline jp.lichtenberg

Reply #2 on: September 29, 2017, 06:28:44 AM
Thanks Kgoss, I'll give that a shot. Just surprised me that something like that would have changed since it ran without the need for those resistors for so long.

JP

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: September 29, 2017, 06:30:16 AM
Did you happen to change source components?

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline jp.lichtenberg

Reply #4 on: September 29, 2017, 07:45:45 AM
No: when resoldering, I've removed the solder with a suction tool and applied new solder to the old wires and contact points. All components, wires, etc. are all original, with the exception of both tubes which I replaced.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #5 on: September 29, 2017, 08:22:14 AM
You could measure and compare the resistance of each channel of the pot at various settings and determine if there is an imbalance in the pot itself.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline kgoss

Reply #6 on: September 29, 2017, 11:05:23 AM
I thought you meant the channel imbalance was there all along and you wanted to address it because the new tubes didn't resolve it. Sorry for the misunderstanding. Paul and Doc will help you figure it out.

Ken Goss

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #7 on: September 30, 2017, 06:59:57 AM
Along with measuring the pot, if you solder in a temporary jumper between the upper and lower middle lugs, you will take any inconsistencies in the pot mostly out of the amp (but you'll have a mono signal).

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man