Amazingly cheap way to clean stylus using fun tac

docbob52 · 3991

Offline docbob52

on: December 25, 2015, 02:20:41 PM
This is from Soundsmith, one of the most respected phono companies.   http://www.sound-smith.com/how-care-new-or-soundsmith-rebuilt-cartridges

Get it for 4 bucks and way cheaper than my 70$ Onzow Zerodust and just as effective.

Garrard 301/ high mass plinth, SME 312S tonearm/ Sleeping beauty cartridge/ Denon AU 320SUT. Transcendent audio GG preamp and OTL SOB power amp. Blumenstein Orca/Dungeness Speakers

Second system.  BH Paramount 300B amps.  BeePre.  Sony SCD777ES, Wyred4 sound Dac. Mac mini.

Offline Zimmer64

• Blog
Reply #1 on: December 25, 2015, 09:52:46 PM
Thank you for the tip. Will try that out.

Happy Holidays!

Michael

Nelson Pass F5 Turbo V2, Quickie (mod), S.E.X. 2.1, Tubes4hifi SP14, Dynaco VTA ST 70, Tubelab SSE, Vroemen Diva Superiore ER4, Jordan JX92S VTL, 47 labs 0647 CD, Aqvox DAC, Rowen Absolute pre / psu / power amps, BG Neo3 / Betsy / Eminence A15 open baffles

Offline Chris

Reply #2 on: December 27, 2015, 08:24:57 AM
Michael Fremer at analog planet showed images of his Lyra cartridge stylus under an electron microscope and to say it was a pretty horrific looking build up of "wet" stylus fluid over time is an understatement... An eye opener for all of us that think our stylii is all nice and clean using the latest and greatest "recommended" products...  Kudos to him for showing all of us what was described by  Michael as "embarrassing".. from his own cartridge....

Offline Karl5150

Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 02:33:17 AM
Just a bump on the BluTack method for anyone who hasn't tried it. I have been using it since first reading the link on this thread.
I've found that my record weight is just lower than the platter when sitting on the plinth.
Since I'm a "stop-the-turntable-to-flip-the-record" guy, I just put the weight (with a strip of BluTack stuck on top) on the plinth, lower the needle, flip the record, lift the tonearm, put the weight on and play side B.
At first I saw a lot of little dark specs where the needle had touched the BluTack, but after a while there is generally just the pinhole.
It has become part of the ritual.

Karl
Downstairs: Planar3>PH-16>Stereomour II>OB Betsy+
Upstairs: RP1>Eros/CD5004>Seductor (2x Monoblocks)>FH3
Office: Modi Uber 2/Sirius>SEX2.1.1>µFonken FF85WK + DC160 subs
BR: FiiO M6>SEX3.0.1>ScanSpeak 10F + TangBand W6 (Mono)/DT770Pro
Garage: X12 streamer>Quicksand>Minimus 77