Glow Test

luckme10 · 1572

Offline luckme10

on: September 27, 2017, 09:35:55 AM
So I've been in the process of building this kit for awhile and had a minor accident while making it. The whole kit fell off the table while I was working on it and for some reason the 6080 tube will no longer pass the glow test. I tried switching out the tubes to a 7236 to no avail. The other tubes still glow when I try the glow test but that one will not seem to work. Since I have no way of testing these tubes at the moment, what steps should I take to problem solve what needs to be done? Should I remove the wires and resolder everything? Maybe I should replace the central tube socket? I find it strange that just that tube seems to no longer glow.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: September 27, 2017, 09:55:59 AM
Pins 7 and 8 of the 6080 are the heater pins. Use your meter to measure the resistance across those pins of the tube. It should be just a few ohms. If the heater is open it will measure infinite resistance. If the tube reads a few ohms (good) you probably have a loose connection in the amp. Measure the voltage across terminals 7 and 8 on the 6080 socket. You should see about 6.3VAC. That's AC, be sure you have the meter set for AC volts.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline luckme10

Reply #2 on: September 27, 2017, 10:48:07 AM
Thanks Doc you're the best! I found my mistake! Terminal voltage is at 6.42 VAC. I mislabled the pins. I'll relable and resolder them properly   :P