Fitting Stereomour II Into My System

oguinn · 1016

Offline oguinn

on: September 11, 2018, 07:46:35 PM
With the sale going on, I was considering accelerating some purchases I’d been eyeing. I was thinking about getting the Stereomour II to power my speakers and leaving my newly-completed SEX to power my headphones (and dropping their output impedance back down to 4 ohms). To switch between the two, I was considering the Smash as an upgrade to my Quickie.

However, I just realized after doing more research that the Stereomour is integrated. It sounds as if attaching an active pre-amp before the Stereomour isn’t necessarily the best path to take.

Have I misunderstood? Would the Smash still be a good pre so I can switch my sources back and forth to the SEX or the Stereomour? Or should I look for a different output switch that’s passive?

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Desktop System: Crack with Speedball

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: September 12, 2018, 06:14:18 AM
The Smash will pair with the Stereomour nicely, but it isn't explicitly necessary.  Some do find the extra gain helpful, especially if the Steremour is powering inefficient speakers. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline oguinn

Reply #2 on: September 12, 2018, 10:31:22 AM
Got it, thank you. Order placed!

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Desktop System: Crack with Speedball