Power chord for SEX amp 3.0? (and other questions about SEX) [resolved]

slankoe · 3170

Offline JeffYoung

Reply #15 on: November 16, 2017, 07:45:31 AM
Terminal 3 is the connection from the parafeed capacitor to the output transformer.  If you've no voltage there but terminal 10 reads the correct voltage, then I'd check your solder joints at terminal 3 or 10.  Assuming your resistance check at terminal 3 also passed, then it's either one of those or your parafeed capacitor is blown.

Offline slankoe

Reply #16 on: November 16, 2017, 07:59:09 AM
Terminal 3 is the connection from the parafeed capacitor to the output transformer.  If you've no voltage there but terminal 10 reads the correct voltage, then I'd check your solder joints at terminal 3 or 10.  Assuming your resistance check at terminal 3 also passed, then it's either one of those or your parafeed capacitor is blown.
I checked the resistance of 3 and it was as it should be, there is the correct voltage at 10. I checked my solder joints and re-soldered them even. Played around with them a bunch, and am very confident that there is a proper connection.

Same test results. I guess the capacitor is fucked? Maybe I should switch them and see if that helps.

Too bad I have to go to work tomorrow, I'll be away from two weeks. But that is just enough time to order a new capacitor. I'd like to verify that this is indeed the problem.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 08:07:04 AM by slankoe »

Offline troplin

Reply #17 on: November 16, 2017, 08:28:41 AM
I plugged it all in and my headphones make sound out of the left ear only

Don't use your amp if it does not pass the voltage tests!

Tobias

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #18 on: November 16, 2017, 08:32:39 AM
Yes 3 is connected to the primary. But that is not where the problem would lie, and I doubt that your parafeed capacitor is "blown" if it has 400v on one lead and 0 on the other. Caps short when they fail.

If you look at the schematic you can see that the low end of the OT primary winding connects to the cathode of the output half of the 6FJ7. The cathode should be around 18V and that would float the end of the parafeed cap up close to that voltage. So check pin 7 of the 6FJ7 on that channel and see if you have around 18V.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline slankoe

Reply #19 on: November 16, 2017, 08:47:23 AM
Yes 3 is connected to the primary. But that is not where the problem would lie, and I doubt that your parafeed capacitor is "blown" if it has 400v on one lead and 0 on the other. Caps short when they fail.

If you look at the schematic you can see that the low end of the OT primary winding connects to the cathode of the output half of the 6FJ7. The cathode should be around 18V and that would float the end of the parafeed cap up close to that voltage. So check pin 7 of the 6FJ7 on that channel and see if you have around 18V.
My knowledge is lacking o really understand what i going on here. but if I am to understand what you say, I must test pin 7 the voltage at the white circular socket that holds the tube, under the chassis, and on the side with no audio?
If that is the case, when I test pin 7, I get a very low reading in the tens of millivolts range, but oddly it starts to ramp up and keeps going to around 200mV within about 15 seconds, and I guess it would keep doing so. But that must be the meter doing funny stuff?

What does it mean? What is up with the slowly climbing or descending readings, and why are some readings preceded by a minus (-) symbol?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 08:55:00 AM by slankoe »

Offline slankoe

Reply #20 on: November 16, 2017, 08:50:21 AM
Don't use your amp if it does not pass the voltage tests!
Curiosity got the better of me, but you are right. There is no warranty on a human life.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #21 on: November 16, 2017, 09:01:54 AM
Check to see if the 1000uF capacitor connected to terminals 11 and 12 has perhaps been installed backwards. Black stripe side should be connected to terminal 12. Also make sure white wire from the OT-2 output transformer terminal 10 has been properly connected to terminal strip terminal 11 and not some other terminal by accident.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline slankoe

Reply #22 on: November 16, 2017, 09:31:59 AM
Check to see if the 1000uF capacitor connected to terminals 11 and 12 has perhaps been installed backwards. Black stripe side should be connected to terminal 12. Also make sure white wire from the OT-2 output transformer terminal 10 has been properly connected to terminal strip terminal 11 and not some other terminal by accident.
Capacitor polarity is correct, white wire from OT-2 terminal 10 is going to terminal 11. Re-soldered the terminal strip 11 connection because it looked like it possibly wasn't correct, but that didn't change test results.

Offline slankoe

Reply #23 on: November 16, 2017, 10:08:00 AM
Right channel still dead, left channel still... sounds fantastic.

Hey wait so get this. Not sure if this is normal. Not sure if anything is normal, but I unplugged the left RCA input channel from the source to the amp, and kept the right one plugged in. I heard very quiet sound coming in. As if the right channel was crossfeeding a bit into the left. Still zero sound on the right. Does this mean anything?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 10:10:59 AM by slankoe »

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #24 on: November 16, 2017, 10:36:24 AM
It means that the signal is getting partway through the right side circuitry, enough to bleed into the left. Maybe try disconnecting the 1000uF cap at terminal 12 and see if that changes the voltage reading at terminal 10. Also, posting an image of the circuitry around that socket and strips might be helpful.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline slankoe

Reply #25 on: November 16, 2017, 08:53:07 PM
I'll try to get to that before I leave for work, thank you. Will update soon.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #26 on: November 17, 2017, 03:39:44 AM
The voltage for terminal 2 is good (85 or so), but then terminal 3 is completely weird. It goes in the millivolt range, between 200mV and 2mV sometimes there is a minus for example 02.4mV was just measured. The number keeps changing. what the hell is going on?

Terminals 3 and 17 are wired together at the cathode of the output triode of that 6FJ7.  Getting 0V there means that either the tube isn't conducting or a part is loose/damaged and not permitting conduction.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #27 on: November 17, 2017, 03:40:29 AM
I plugged it all in and my headphones make sound out of the left ear only
Not passing your voltage checks means that your amp shouldn't be used.  We will not respond to any commentary on what you do or don't hear from your headphones until you pass your voltage checks and the amplifier is safe to operate.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #28 on: November 17, 2017, 03:41:59 AM
Did all my voltage checks again. All were pretty normal looking. Except much of the 385V were bumped to 400V and likewise the ones that were supposed to say 400 were closer to 425. The only one that isnt normal is terminal 3 which shows in the millivolt range, which is not ZERO, but then again all the ones that were supposed to say zero as per the manual actually are close to zero, but none of them are zero. I'm assuming this is just because of the sensitivity of the volt meter or what?
When you post your voltages, it should be a list of the terminal, the voltage you have, and the voltage you're supposed to have.  Having 400V where you're supposed to have 385V is an issue, but you haven't actually told us at which terminals you have that issue.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline slankoe

Reply #29 on: December 03, 2017, 06:35:57 PM
I got back from work and went to a meet. I had a third party with amp building experience re-check the wiring diagram. Turns out I was missing one little wire. Problem solved. Works like a beauty now. :)