Bottlehead Kits > Kaiju Stereo 300B amp

Value of a constant load for the Kaiju?

(1/2) > >>

Jamus:
Having recently purchased some vintage Klipsch Forte speakers I've been doing some reading about crossover upgrades. It has been mentioned that the original crossover design of the Klipsch can produce a widely variable load (up to 70 Ohm, apparently) which can be problematic for low powered SET amps. There is an aftermarket crossover design by ALK which produces a stable 8 Ohm load. Does this seem like a valuable upgrade or is this a solution looking for a problem?
Thanks!
Jamus

Paul Birkeland:
The bigger issue with SET amplifiers are speakers with an 8 Ohm rating that have low portions of the impedance curve.  Flattening out the high spots may or may not be helpful.

Doc B.:
What PB says, and also a different crossover can sound different for other reasons besides impedance compensation, like changes in crossover frequencies or order, materials used, insertion losses, etc. So the more important question might be which crossover sounds better?

Jamus:
I read they can draw as low as 3.7 ohms. Would this warrant switching the Kaiju over to the 4ohm taps?

Paul Birkeland:
I'd certainly recommend trying both.  Using the 4 Ohm tap will give you better damping (bass control), lower distortion, lower noise, but also lower power. 

The Forte looks to have one dip in the lower mid-range, but is otherwise not too unfriendly.
 Forte Impedance Curve

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version