Bottlehead Kits > Kaiju Stereo 300B amp

Kaiju Headphone Amp

(1/2) > >>

Bartman:
I second the previous posts recommending the DC Kit for the Kaiju if it is being used as a headamp.  For me there was way too much hum using headphones with the stock Kaiju even though I heard no hum through speakers.  When I installed the DC Kit it became quiet as can be - no hum at all.

Question: My Kaiju is currently wired for 2 Ohms.  Believe it or not the Hifiman Susvara (83db) could use little more volume for some recordings.   Would wiring it for 4 or 8 ohms give me more volume?

Thanks Bottlehead for such a great product!

Doc B.:
It's possible that rewiring will give you more volume from the headphones. But in this case you need to asses whether the issue is a lack of drive from amp into headphone, or not enough signal level from your preamp to the Kaiju. Are you turning your source volume way up but not getting a high enough level, or is the Kaiju going into clipping before getting the headphones loud enough?

Bartman:
The Kaiju is definitely not clipping.  When I turn the source volume up to near full volume I am not getting quite enough volume.

Doc B.:
Going to a higher output impedance configuration may help, but ultimately you may need to figure out how to get a higher level signal into the Kaiju.

Bartman:
I'll try the re-wire.  I may also have a DAC/preamp that has higher output. 

thanks!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version