Upgrade Preamp?

BNAL · 2047

Offline BNAL

on: November 24, 2017, 04:14:06 AM
I saw someone posted on the Smash forum about moving from the Quickie to the Smash, but there were no responses, so I figured I would try here.

Does anyone have a Quickie and/or a Smash/BeePre and can post their impressions of the differences?

Thanks,
Brad

Brad Nalitt
Iron Upgraded S.E.X. Amp 2.0
Foreplay III
Quickie w/PJCCS
Eros Phono
Blumenstein Orca Speakers, Baby Benthic Subs
S.E.X.y Speakers W/FT17H Horn Tweeters
Thorens TD 125 MkII W/ Shure M97xE JICO SAS Stylus

Offline Alonzo

• Not all those who wander are lost
Reply #1 on: November 24, 2017, 08:13:25 AM
I have done the upgrade, from Quickie to Smash to BeePre.  It is literally Good, Better, Best.  Quicke is the basic, good sounds and the music comes  at you front and center.  Think of it as night at the symphony.  Quickie is the upper level seats you are happy to get.  Smash is the Saturday matinee showing with seats in the Luge , new details come out and you can't believe how good the sound is when the first note is played.  Music is still front and center but you get some detail on the sections of the orchestra.   BeePre is the lucky Orchestra seats you score, new sounds come out and you discover new depth and separation.  There is reverb, space, details and lots more punch to the music.  You don't need to turn up the BeePre as much as you did the Smash or Quickie to get fuller sound.
Sorry for the flowery description but the differences are explained on the BH site pretty well, just trying to relate it to an experience that may clear up what your hearing.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 08:19:20 AM by Alonzo »

Alonzo
Gameroom:>Mainline to HD820, SR45 to Pipette
>BeePree Kaiju & SII to Altec 19 knockoffs
Office:>BH Stat amp to Koss 95x, T20 SET to JBL 4309s
Den:> MorePlay 845 SET to Altec Valencia's

Offline StevePL

Reply #2 on: November 25, 2017, 06:34:17 PM
I have done the upgrade, from Quickie to Smash to BeePre.  It is literally Good, Better, Best.  Quicke is the basic, good sounds and the music comes  at you front and center.  Think of it as night at the symphony.  Quickie is the upper level seats you are happy to get.  Smash is the Saturday matinee showing with seats in the Luge , new details come out and you can't believe how good the sound is when the first note is played.  Music is still front and center but you get some detail on the sections of the orchestra.   BeePre is the lucky Orchestra seats you score, new sounds come out and you discover new depth and separation.  There is reverb, space, details and lots more punch to the music.  You don't need to turn up the BeePre as much as you did the Smash or Quickie to get fuller sound.
Sorry for the flowery description but the differences are explained on the BH site pretty well, just trying to relate it to an experience that may clear up what your hearing.

Thanks for that.
I have a modded quickie and have been curious about upgrading it. I almost got one but everything got thrown through a loop last week when a friend dropped of a pair of Revel Performa F30s for me to look after for a year. Now my Orcas have been put aside as I contemplate getting the Vidar to drive the F30s. What is amazing is just how good the Quickie/Quicksand combo sounded through the F30s. Obviously no power but we were both shocked at how things sounded.
I think the Smash into the Vidar will happen before he comes for his F30s.

Crack Speedball, HD600, HD 25 300ohm.
Audirvana +, Schiit Modi Multibit, Smash-Smash Up Clarity MR, Rotel 956 bridged 2x Mono, Revel Performa F30.
Fiio X5ii, Quickie, Quicksand, Blumenstein Orca

Offline Alonzo

• Not all those who wander are lost
Reply #3 on: November 26, 2017, 09:23:45 AM
OT, I have a Vidar for my MMG's.  Bee Pre to Vidar to MMG's.  It sounds great.  I think the Smash will give some life to the Vidar's clean sound.

Alonzo
Gameroom:>Mainline to HD820, SR45 to Pipette
>BeePree Kaiju & SII to Altec 19 knockoffs
Office:>BH Stat amp to Koss 95x, T20 SET to JBL 4309s
Den:> MorePlay 845 SET to Altec Valencia's

Offline StevePL

Reply #4 on: November 28, 2017, 04:46:16 PM
OT, I have a Vidar for my MMG's.  Bee Pre to Vidar to MMG's.  It sounds great.  I think the Smash will give some life to the Vidar's clean sound.

That's the route I'm going to head down. Smash into Vidar.

My biggest problem right now is the room. Once the room is sounding better I'll get the Smash.

Crack Speedball, HD600, HD 25 300ohm.
Audirvana +, Schiit Modi Multibit, Smash-Smash Up Clarity MR, Rotel 956 bridged 2x Mono, Revel Performa F30.
Fiio X5ii, Quickie, Quicksand, Blumenstein Orca