First Kaiju: Slight hum and somewhat low volume

aPodz · 4471

Offline aPodz

on: December 10, 2017, 04:55:48 AM
Hi,

I've just completed my first Kaiju kit and started using it to drive a pair of Harbeth SuperHL5 (not the most efficient @ 86dB). Even before connecting it to the the speakers I've noticed the power transformer making a slight hum during the voltage tests, is that normal? Once the speakers were connected the the hum balance was brought to a minimum there is still a relative low hum, not you noticeable while listening music unless there is a quiet passage.

The other thing I'm curious about is that the Kaiju doesn't seem to drive the speakers too loud (or as loud as I was expecting them to... would be the more accurate statement). I've previously built a S.E.X. 3.0 for my headphones but was pleasantly surprised to see that it could drive the Harbeth to decent levels, with crystal clear sound albeit lacking a bit of "oomf". Now the sound out of the Kaiju feels much richer and definitely has that "oomf" that the S.E.X. was lacking, but with its power rated at 8 times that of the S.E.X., I was expecting a little more loudness. I have both amps wired for 4ohms at the output transformers and they are very similar in term of loudness (with an ear test only). Is this normal or did I wire something wrong somewhere? Am I understanding the power rating wrong?

As you can probably tell I am quite new at this and would appreciate any input!

Thank you!

aPodz

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: December 10, 2017, 06:11:32 AM
I would certainly speculate that something is amiss based on your description.  I'm going to assume the obvious that the trim pots are all the way up and that you've passed your voltage checks.  I'd probably go back and double check these to be sure! 

When I've run into issues like this, it has often times come from wiring mistakes on the output transformers which end up reducing the available output voltage.  I would check there first!

Beyond that, it's easy to check the amp by downloading a 60Hz tone onto your phone and playing it through your amp, then measuring a few AC voltages under those conditions.  I can help you do that if your DC voltage check is good and the output transformer wiring is correct. 

As far at the PT humming, I would recommend tightening down the hardware as much as possible.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline aPodz

Reply #2 on: December 10, 2017, 10:04:06 AM
Thank you for the quick reply Paul!
I've went through the instructions double checking the connections and it seems that things are wired correctly. I'll attach some pictures and hopefully your experienced eyes will catch something I've missed. Regarding voltages here's the information I've collected so far:
I live in the States, and the initial voltage I've measured was 123V AC, and so I've followed the instructions for "IF your voltage is GREATER than 115V AC and LESS than 130V AC".
On the secondary test: I remember getting normal values when I did the test. I redid it after all the components were installed (minus to 300B tubes as I am afraid of breaking them) and here is what I got: 195V between 7-8, 6.3 between all the other ones.
On the high voltage power supply test (again with all the components minus the the 300B tubes) I would get 256V @10U, 529V @14U and 267V @15U.
And finally I was getting 529V @IA and 297V @OA on both boards, with 32U and 46U dialed in to 175V on the board potentiometer.

I tightened all parts and changed the output to an 8Ω secondary and that has reduced the hum a little, but has not eliminated it. 

Offline aPodz

Reply #3 on: December 10, 2017, 10:07:08 AM
I've also uploaded some more pictures and a video at the following link: (https://www.dropbox.com/sh/rqdhxjshjnqn3xw/AACE71o6q6DwaUsyMegQcM9Fa?dl=0)

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #4 on: December 10, 2017, 10:15:57 AM
If the amp is humming and the trim pots are not moved rewiring the amp from 4 ohms to 8 ohms should make the hum louder, not more quiet.

Does the hum go up and down with the level controls, or stay the same no matter what setting?

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline aPodz

Reply #5 on: December 10, 2017, 10:18:59 AM
The hum stays the same irrespective of the position of the volume potentiometers. It might have gone quieter from the tightening of the screws securing the transformers I did at the same time as the re-wiring of the output transformers.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #6 on: December 10, 2017, 11:19:29 AM
Does it change if you disconnect the interconnect cables from the input jacks?

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline aPodz

Reply #7 on: December 10, 2017, 11:45:26 AM
It stays about the same whether the input cable is in or out, and it stays the same whether i am inputing a phono stage or an headphone jack. 

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #8 on: December 10, 2017, 05:37:51 PM
OK, we are narrowing down the possibilities. Does the hum start as soon as you turn the amp on, or after it warms up?

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline aPodz

Reply #9 on: December 11, 2017, 01:57:57 AM
I'd say it's pretty instantaneous, within 1-2 seconds of turning it on. At some point it didn't do it if the 300B tubes weren't in, but I haven't tested it without them in since then, if that information helps some.

Offline fullheadofnothing

• Global Moderator
  • A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man
Reply #10 on: December 11, 2017, 09:22:01 AM
How much hum are you measuring?

Joshua Harris

I Write the Manuals That Make The Whole World Sing
Kit Packer Emeritus

Offline aPodz

Reply #11 on: December 11, 2017, 09:50:44 AM
I unfortunately don't have a multimeter that measures AC low voltage. I did the hum balance test by ear only, by standing a few feet away from the speaker and adjusting the hum balance. I'll can get a better multimeter if you really need a value. 

Offline fullheadofnothing

• Global Moderator
  • A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man
Reply #12 on: December 11, 2017, 10:08:56 AM
If you have excessive hum, that would be a sign of a problem with your amp. It's impossible to say if the hum is excessive or not without knowing how much is there.

Cheapo meters work fine most of the time (the one shown in the manual is a super old RadioShack meter, and the meter that HarborFreight gives away is up to the task as well). What does your meter do when you try to measure low voltages?

Joshua Harris

I Write the Manuals That Make The Whole World Sing
Kit Packer Emeritus

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #13 on: December 11, 2017, 12:29:46 PM
I'd second Josh's recommendation.  The cheap meters do suck at measuring low AC voltages, but if you get the $25 meter at Harbor Freight, it will resolve AC mV just well enough to do the job. 

If you'd like to check the gain of the amplifier, having a meter that resolves mV will be convenient as well.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline aPodz

Reply #14 on: December 11, 2017, 01:48:35 PM
Ok, I've been using this cheap one to get me through the build: (https://smile.amazon.com/AstroAI-Digital-Multimeter-Voltage-Tester/dp/B01ISAMUA6/ref=sr_1_4?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1513026654&sr=1-4&keywords=AstroAI+Digital+Multimeter) and when I put it on 200 ~V i get a 0.00 reading.

I'll go get a better tool and come back to you guys with some values.