Magnequest Outputs

Dr. Beaker · 1779

Offline Dr. Beaker

on: January 14, 2018, 04:26:43 AM
I have an unused set of Magnequest all nickel outputs and plates chokes for the Paramounts.  Are these suitable for the Kaiju?  I recognize there may be fit issues, but wondering if they are circuit compatible.  Not even sure if they would be a sonic upgrade, but I'm trying to find a use for them.

Thanks

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: January 14, 2018, 07:03:49 AM
The Kaiju transformers are indeed quite a bit larger than the Paramount parts, so you would have to drill new holes to get them mounted.

I believe that the Magnequest Paramount plate choke is somewhere around 30H @70mA.  The Kaiju plate choke is 40H at 70mA, so I would expect a bit of a drop in performance if you took it out and put the MQ choke in.

Similarly, I would suspect that the power bandwidth of the stock Kaiju transformer will be a bit greater than the MQ part for the Paramount, just based on size.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 05:52:59 AM by Caucasian Blackplate »

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #2 on: January 14, 2018, 07:28:47 AM
Yes, bigger and better iron was one of the key changes to the design when we went from Paramount to Kaiju. I suspect the stock Kaiju iron will be better optimized than the MQ Paramount iron in the Kaiju circuit.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Dr. Beaker

Reply #3 on: January 14, 2018, 11:28:05 AM
Thanks for the informative replies.

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #4 on: January 14, 2018, 02:38:56 PM
The Paramount plate choke is about 24 henries, vs. 40 henries for the Kaiju. Paramount output transformer handles 80 watts at 30Hz, vs. 22Hz for Kaiju.

There are suitable Magnequest products for Kaiju, but the installation is somewhat complex so I have avoided saying much about that approach.

Paul Joppa

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #5 on: January 15, 2018, 05:53:27 AM
PJ, do you remember the inductance for the MQ Paramount choke?

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #6 on: January 15, 2018, 07:11:39 AM
PJ, do you remember the inductance for the MQ Paramount choke?
According to my notes, the first two successful prototypes were 25 and 29 henries at 70mA.

Paul Joppa